ChrisCoaster

Default Two-parter regarding flyback focus

My first question concerns something called "dynamic focus". I'm
pretty familiar with what it does - varying the voltage of the beams as
they near the sides and corners of the screen to ensure even focus.
Does adjusting the flyback mounted focus control interfere with
whatever controls the dynamic focus?

The reason I'm asking this is because I just performed focus
adjustment, per the directions on FAQ, on two NEW sets - my 20" Daewoo
and my 24" Toshiba 24AF44 pureflat. The improvement to both was slight
but definite. Seeing the skin pores on the faces of people being
interviewed by Tim Russert or whoever, on an NTSC standard set of all
things, is something I am not used to and quite impressed by! And
think about what that does for those car restoration shows when the
lights hit the restored fenders on that '69 Camaro.

My point is, even factory fresh TVs seem to lack the "perfect" focus
necessary to make watching even the 6'oclock news more fulfilling(!)
And I've been able to pull back the user sharpness to the half-point
and still see almost 3D-like detail. I know my sets don't have dynamic
focus but I wouldn't want to mess up one with it.

My second question concerns the above Toshiba model 24AF43. For the 6
months I owned the set and after I adjusted the focus, I noticed an
almost "misty" quality to the image on this set, particularly when
watching broadcasts. Sort of like the dream sequences you seen in a
feature picture. Again, NOT blurry - just like a slight mist or fog -
especially around anything as light as a human face or lighter -
headlights, scenes w/room lighting, sunlight entering windows, or lines
framing quotes on the news.

I am aware that this set has a non-defeatable SV or scan velocity
modulation, and wonder if THAT has anything to do with it. The 20"
Daewoo does not, as far as I know, have SVM, but it does possess comb
filters as does the larger toshiba, but does not have the misty look to
it's image. BTW an explanation of scan velocity mod would be
appreciated.

Thanks for your patience through my long-winded questions and for any
help you may provide.

-ChrisCoaster

Andy Cuffe

On 14 Dec 2004 16:47:35 -0800, "ChrisCoaster"
wrote:

My first question concerns something called "dynamic focus". I'm
pretty familiar with what it does - varying the voltage of the beams as
they near the sides and corners of the screen to ensure even focus.
Does adjusting the flyback mounted focus control interfere with
whatever controls the dynamic focus?

The focus control on the flyback adjusts the static focus. It will
have an equal effect all over the screen. I've never seen a set with
adjustable dynamic focus, even in the service menus.

It's normal for TVs to leave the factory with way less than perfect
adjustment. Home theater fanatics often pay professionals to properly
set up the set's service adjustments. It makes a big difference, even
on expensive TVs.

My second question concerns the above Toshiba model 24AF43. For the 6
months I owned the set and after I adjusted the focus, I noticed an
almost "misty" quality to the image on this set, particularly when
watching broadcasts. Sort of like the dream sequences you seen in a
feature picture. Again, NOT blurry - just like a slight mist or fog -
especially around anything as light as a human face or lighter -
headlights, scenes w/room lighting, sunlight entering windows, or lines
framing quotes on the news.

This could be caused by the digital comb filter. They sometimes cause
digital artifacts.

Are you sure you didn't go too far with the focus? If the focus is
misadjusted to one side of optimum it just looks blurry, but on the
other side there can be a sort of fog surrounding the scan lines. You
may even have to defocus the scan lines slightly to avoid this fog.

I am aware that this set has a non-defeatable SV or scan velocity
modulation, and wonder if THAT has anything to do with it. The 20"
Daewoo does not, as far as I know, have SVM, but it does possess comb
filters as does the larger toshiba, but does not have the misty look to
it's image. BTW an explanation of scan velocity mod would be
appreciated.

It's always possible to defeat SVM, but it often requires unplugging
an internal connector, or cutting a circuit board trace. All you have
to do is interrupt the signal to the SVM yoke on the CRT neck. It's
easy to identify once you know what to look for, but difficult to
describe without that particular set in front of me.
Andy Cuffe

ChrisCoaster

Andy Cuffe wrote:
On 14 Dec 2004 16:47:35 -0800, "ChrisCoaster"
wrote:

..

It's normal for TVs to leave the factory with way less than perfect
adjustment. Home theater fanatics often pay professionals to

properly
set up the set's service adjustments. It makes a big difference,

even
on expensive TVs.

Scary! When they focus sets in the assembly area, do they really
follow what I read on FAQ? Let set run for at least 15min, Then turn
up bright and contrast to max. Turn down sharpness, then adjust focus
until scan lines thinnest and well defined.

I doubt it! They probably just focus it with the user menus set to
whatever is default, then foam it up, tape it up, and ship it out.

-
especially around anything as light as a human face or lighter -
headlights, scenes w/room lighting, sunlight entering windows, or

lines
framing quotes on the news.

This could be caused by the digital comb filter. They sometimes

cause
digital artifacts.

Are you sure you didn't go too far with the focus? If the focus is
misadjusted to one side of optimum it just looks blurry, but on the
other side there can be a sort of fog surrounding the scan lines.

You
may even have to defocus the scan lines slightly to avoid this fog.

Actually I did mention that this "fog" was present since I have owned
the set. The only difference I noticed after the focus is that I no
longer see just an image of the car - it feels like I'm seeing the
actual car and can touch it through the screen! DAMN this thing is
crisp. : )

It's always possible to defeat SVM, but it often requires unplugging
an internal connector, or cutting a circuit board trace. All you

have
to do is interrupt the signal to the SVM yoke on the CRT neck. It's
easy to identify once you know what to look for, but difficult to
describe without that particular set in front of me.
Andy Cuffe

Thanks Andy. You heard him folks - I'm issuing an All-points bulletin
for anyone owning the 20" or 24" pure flat toshiba sets from 2003 or
later. 20AF44, 24AF43(mine) or 24AF44: I would like to hear from
anyone who has been inside those model#s and disabled their SV. Or at
minimum, what lingo to look for on the SVM components inside recent
direct-view Toshibas.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-CC