Andy Cuffe

On 14 Dec 2004 16:47:35 -0800, "ChrisCoaster"
wrote:

My first question concerns something called "dynamic focus". I'm
pretty familiar with what it does - varying the voltage of the beams as
they near the sides and corners of the screen to ensure even focus.
Does adjusting the flyback mounted focus control interfere with
whatever controls the dynamic focus?

The focus control on the flyback adjusts the static focus. It will
have an equal effect all over the screen. I've never seen a set with
adjustable dynamic focus, even in the service menus.

It's normal for TVs to leave the factory with way less than perfect
adjustment. Home theater fanatics often pay professionals to properly
set up the set's service adjustments. It makes a big difference, even
on expensive TVs.

My second question concerns the above Toshiba model 24AF43. For the 6
months I owned the set and after I adjusted the focus, I noticed an
almost "misty" quality to the image on this set, particularly when
watching broadcasts. Sort of like the dream sequences you seen in a
feature picture. Again, NOT blurry - just like a slight mist or fog -
especially around anything as light as a human face or lighter -
headlights, scenes w/room lighting, sunlight entering windows, or lines
framing quotes on the news.

This could be caused by the digital comb filter. They sometimes cause
digital artifacts.

Are you sure you didn't go too far with the focus? If the focus is
misadjusted to one side of optimum it just looks blurry, but on the
other side there can be a sort of fog surrounding the scan lines. You
may even have to defocus the scan lines slightly to avoid this fog.

I am aware that this set has a non-defeatable SV or scan velocity
modulation, and wonder if THAT has anything to do with it. The 20"
Daewoo does not, as far as I know, have SVM, but it does possess comb
filters as does the larger toshiba, but does not have the misty look to
it's image. BTW an explanation of scan velocity mod would be
appreciated.

It's always possible to defeat SVM, but it often requires unplugging
an internal connector, or cutting a circuit board trace. All you have
to do is interrupt the signal to the SVM yoke on the CRT neck. It's
easy to identify once you know what to look for, but difficult to
describe without that particular set in front of me.
Andy Cuffe