Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default bizarre self-healing CRT focus?

On 29 Dec 2005 08:55:40 -0800, wrote:

About two months ago, my Samsung Tantus Digital 32" CRT (non-HD
version) developed a focus problem. It appears to have been a
horizontal focus problem that was minor in the middle of the display,
and pretty bad on the left and right. Vertical focus was not
appreciably affected. Simultaneously, the display became noticably
dimmer with lower contrast. (The latter I adjusted.) How bad was the
focus? Not *that* bad: we couldn't read credits and other small text,
but it was tolerable enough that we didn't immediately rush to fix it.

At one point, we observed that physically unplugging the TV for ~30
minutes temporarily and partially restored the focus. The blur would
settle back in after another ~10 minutes.

This morning, the problem was gone. Focus was sharp, and it looks like
the brightness and contrast were bumped back up too (I haven't gotten
around to adjusting them back to sane levels.)

Any ideas? What could cause this problem to come, and then months
later, go away? Do you think the problem will return?

-Ed

Intermittents in the focus circuit aren't unusual. It could also be a
short in the CRT. It might be fine now, but chances are it will come
back eventually. If it's still under warranty, you should have it
looked at because the CRT is an expensive part.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005