Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Salmo

Default EBay ad.."Worn resitor" :O)

Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

"There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Set Square

Salmo wrote:

Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

"There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

Possibly means noisy volume control potentiometer - although that would be
more likely to cause a crackle rather than a hiss.

I think I would need to ask the vendor to define 'slight' before making a
bid!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There is more to the ebay ad as well.

The volume knob came unglued and I lost it, easy replacement from
Carver.

Anyone know how to get in contact with Carver.
Seems to me that the parts for these old Carver units are nearly
impossible to get.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39

Hello, Salmo!
You wrote on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:13:54 GMT:

S Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

S "There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

It's possible he means that an old component is introducing some unwanted
spurious noise, this can happen with resistors but is more likely to be a
semiconductor. Depending on the quality of the amp a slight hiss at loud
levels with no input might be normal with some cheaper models.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"3T39" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Dec 05 23:18:56)
--- on the heady topic of " EBay ad.."Worn resitor" :O)"

3T From: "3T39"
3T Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:352491

3T Hello, Salmo!
3T You wrote on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:13:54 GMT:

S Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

S "There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

3T It's possible he means that an old component is introducing some
3T unwanted spurious noise, this can happen with resistors but is more
3T likely to be a semiconductor. Depending on the quality of the amp a
3T slight hiss at loud levels with no input might be normal with some
3T cheaper models.

Electrolytic capacitors can also hiss, crackle, and wheeze with the best
of them!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.

GFCI still tripping fredinstl Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 06:56 PM
EBay hack Don Foreman Metalworking 59 March 23rd 05 02:32 AM
WARNING ! New ebay email scam ! Or should I say newest version of an old one Puff Griffis Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 02:22 AM
WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL T. Woodworking 19 January 3rd 04 06:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM