Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce H

Default Sony KP-41T15 - Focusing Lens?

I am working on a Sony projection TV (KP-41T15 circa 1995).

History: The unit had lost power. The previous repair had replaced
IC1601/IC1602 (STK392-010), the +/- regulator IC's on the convergence board
and the parts in the soft start circuit mentioned in a Sony FPR.

The unit had worked for a while then stopped with only the LED on the front
panel flashing. Turned out to be one of the 3.15A fuses on the same board
(was not repalced with a time-delay fuse). The fuse was replaced with a
proper fuse and the set fires up fine now.

Current Problem: My brother, bless his soul, tried to help me relocate the
TV by himself and in the process dropped it (didn't pay attention to the
fact that a number of screws were removed from the set). The reflection
mirror broke and put a small scratch in the lenticular lens (light scratch
about 1" long). In addition a shard of the mirror scratched the focusing
lens on the red CRT 07MAC2(R) as well as puncturing the coolant seal.

The seal appears to be repairable and the coolant should be able to be
replaced. A new mirror can also be cut (27" x 17"). I don't believe I have
to replace the lenticular lens but that will remain to be seen once the set
is reassembled. There are two scratches on the focusing lens; one is about
3 mm and the other hairline scratch is about 3/4" long.

Questions: Does any one know where I can find a replacement focusing lens?
Is there a recommended supplier of CRT optical coolant other than MCM or
have you had no problems with their coolant?

Side question: Do you have a preferred supplier for replacement CRT guns?
If so, where?

Bruce Haugh
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:11:14 -0600, "Bruce H"
wrote:

Questions: Does any one know where I can find a replacement focusing lens?
Is there a recommended supplier of CRT optical coolant other than MCM or
have you had no problems with their coolant?

Side question: Do you have a preferred supplier for replacement CRT guns?
If so, where?

Bruce Haugh
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

A few scratches on the lens shouldn't be noticeable. If you do need a
new one, it's part number 4-034-057-01 for the red or blue and
4-034-057-11 for the green.

I've never had any trouble with the MCM coolant and it's by far the
cheapest. Wash out all the old coolant before refilling because they
don't always react well to mixing.

Be sure you repair the seal well because if it ever leaks it can cause
lots of damage to the TV. I'm not sure if replacement seals are
available from sony because they aren't listed in the service manual.
Make sure all traces of spilled coolant are washed off the boards
because it doesn't evaporate and it will cause shorts eventually.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Few things. The mirror is a first surface mirror, if you have one cut,
make sure the glass/mirror place special order a first surface mirror
or you will have a double shadow image. We have used a standard mirror
cut when the Sony one was on backorder to get the customer working
until the correct one came in.

The scratch on the lens may not even be visible on the image as the two
focal points are the face of the phosphor and the actual screen. The
replacement lens if it is still available will be around $300 from
Sony.

Crt coolant from MCM is ok to use.

The inside lens that I would assume was scratch from the glass is the
fresnel lens. Any scratch in that is clearly visible.

Your best bet might be to try and find the same model that is not
working but has good mirror, lenses, and screens.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce H

Thanks for the info Andy. I have an opportunity to pick up a replacement
07MAC2(R) for $75. I know that the coolant is extremely corrosive to the
circuit boards and I am very fortunate that I caught the leak prior to it
dripping on the boards.

Replacement seals are, unfortunately, unavailable and while I can use
silicone to seal the piercing, I don't think I want to take the chance of it
negatively effecting the expansion port (or even as you mentioned, leaking
in the future and totally destroying the boards (also unavailable).

Bruce Haugh
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce H

Thanks for the tip on the mirror. I found out that there is another local
technician who keeps stock of this type of mirror and custom cuts them.
I'll get this from him.

You are correct the scratch is on the inner (smooth) surface of the fresnel
lens. The scratch is light enough that a CD scratch repair process may be
successful.

I will try to search for a non-functional KP-41T15 (or, off the top of my
head I believe the 41T65 is equal)

Bruce Haugh
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

wrote in message
oups.com...
Few things. The mirror is a first surface mirror, if you have one cut,
make sure the glass/mirror place special order a first surface mirror
or you will have a double shadow image. We have used a standard mirror
cut when the Sony one was on backorder to get the customer working
until the correct one came in.

The scratch on the lens may not even be visible on the image as the two
focal points are the face of the phosphor and the actual screen. The
replacement lens if it is still available will be around $300 from
Sony.

Crt coolant from MCM is ok to use.

The inside lens that I would assume was scratch from the glass is the
fresnel lens. Any scratch in that is clearly visible.

Your best bet might be to try and find the same model that is not
working but has good mirror, lenses, and screens.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:12:39 -0600, "Bruce H"
wrote:

Thanks for the info Andy. I have an opportunity to pick up a replacement
07MAC2(R) for $75. I know that the coolant is extremely corrosive to the
circuit boards and I am very fortunate that I caught the leak prior to it
dripping on the boards.

Replacement seals are, unfortunately, unavailable and while I can use
silicone to seal the piercing, I don't think I want to take the chance of it
negatively effecting the expansion port (or even as you mentioned, leaking
in the future and totally destroying the boards (also unavailable).

Bruce Haugh
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I wouldn't bother with the red CRT since it's usually the last color
to go. I often see old projection TVs with totally shot blue and
green CRTs, but perfect red. It might be worth it if you can't
properly seal the old CRT.

Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On 13 Dec 2005 09:07:53 -0800, "
wrote:

Few things. The mirror is a first surface mirror, if you have one cut,
make sure the glass/mirror place special order a first surface mirror
or you will have a double shadow image. We have used a standard mirror
cut when the Sony one was on backorder to get the customer working
until the correct one came in.

The only Sony I had to replace a mirror in was just a standard
(non-first surface) mirror. It surprised me, but I replaced it with
the same type of mirror and it looked fine.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce H

Few things. The mirror is a first surface mirror, if you have one cut,
make sure the glass/mirror place special order a first surface mirror
or you will have a double shadow image. We have used a standard mirror
cut when the Sony one was on backorder to get the customer working
until the correct one came in.

The only Sony I had to replace a mirror in was just a standard
(non-first surface) mirror. It surprised me, but I replaced it with
the same type of mirror and it looked fine.
Andy Cuffe

In looking at a shard remnant of the mirror, this is not a first surface
mirror. It is glass with the mirror coating on the back. It looks pretty
standard. This set is from 1995 and I would guess from a cost point of
view, it was cheaper for Sony to build it this way. The newer models are
likely first surface mirrors and I suspect that they use these now because
they provide somewhat better performance.

Bruce Haugh
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada