Posted to sci.electronics.repair
joaquino

Default pana 27" takes an hour to warm up

I've got a circa 97/98 panasonic ct27g3. The picture is acting up since
Friday. When i first turn it on I get picture and sound for five minutes or
so, then the picture goes black, but still have audio. After about an hour
the picture comes back on and stays on. I am not considering trying to work
on this myself. Is this something that is worthwhile to have fixed? I'd
hate to spend the money on an estimate and be told the set's not worth
repairing. There seem to be some good tv sales going on...
thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

These types of faults occur from components becoming thermo sensitive with
age. You will have to bring the set to an experienced TV tech to have it
properly and safely serviced. The main cost would be for the labour, more so
than the parts. This is something an end user would not be able to fix at
home himself, unless properly trained, and experienced in doing this type of
work.

--

JANA
_____

"joaquino" wrote in message
news:1133763951.c4d8ddc040df33581133c5afafd7b599@f e5.teranews.com...
I've got a circa 97/98 panasonic ct27g3. The picture is acting up since
Friday. When i first turn it on I get picture and sound for five minutes or
so, then the picture goes black, but still have audio. After about an hour
the picture comes back on and stays on. I am not considering trying to work
on this myself. Is this something that is worthwhile to have fixed? I'd
hate to spend the money on an estimate and be told the set's not worth
repairing. There seem to be some good tv sales going on...
thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

JANA wrote:

These types of faults occur from components becoming thermo sensitive with
age. You will have to bring the set to an experienced TV tech to have it
properly and safely serviced. The main cost would be for the labour, more so
than the parts. This is something an end user would not be able to fix at
home himself, unless properly trained, and experienced in doing this type of
work.

The info you're looking for is whether it's worth repair, and the answer
is "probably yes".
If the picture looks good when it is working, then the picture tube is
good. Since it works sometimes, then the flyback (high voltage
transformer) and horizontal output are good. Those can be expensive parts.
Chances are the fault is with less expensive parts like capacitors in
the power supply. Or it could possibly be loose solder connections
which expand and contract as the set warms up. Maybe even in the
veritcal section, causing the TV to automatically blank out the picture
to protect the picture tube from burning.
You should find out the repair shop's standard labor charge, add maybe
$20 for part, plus sales tax, and that's around what you should pay to
get it repaired.
Try to find a repair shop on the recommendation of a satisfied customer.
Most shops are honest, but going to one with a good reputation will help
you not get burned by a possibly dishonest shop.