glc

Default ethernet card

Hi
I puchased a socket LP-E pcmcia card from an auction site.
Unfortunately the socket pcmcia card was supplied with a xircom connectivity cable and it doesn't work.
Is it possible to rewire an existing connectivity cable ?
I have attempted to use an oscilloscope on an RJ45 cable to see if I can compare the trace on the 'unknown' cable with a 'known good pcmcia card with cable' on the oscilloscope when using the 'ping' command,(but the cable is going nowhere, unterminated) and I find that I cannot get a good result.
Can I use an oscilloscope to view the result of a ping command ?
What results should I expect on the 8 pins of a RJ45 cable ?

thanx

GC
gb

"glc" wrote in message ...

Hi
I puchased a socket LP-E pcmcia card from an auction site.
Unfortunately the socket pcmcia card was supplied with a xircom
connectivity cable and it doesn't work.
Is it possible to rewire an existing connectivity cable ?
I have attempted to use an oscilloscope on an RJ45 cable to see if I can
compare the trace on the 'unknown' cable with a 'known good pcmcia card
with cable' on the oscilloscope when using the 'ping' command,(but the
cable is going nowhere, unterminated) and I find that I cannot get a good
result.
Can I use an oscilloscope to view the result of a ping command ?
What results should I expect on the 8 pins of a RJ45 cable ?

thanx

GC

Ethernet (10--Base-T) using the UTP connector -- only uses pin 1/2 and pin
3/6 ... pin 4/5 are not used to avoid tip/ting POTS possible cross connect
mistakes
and pin 7/8 also not used to avoid other uses.
All covered in the IEEE 10-Base-T, EIA/TIA 568 standards and equivalent EU
standards

gb

James Sweet

gb wrote:
"glc" wrote in message ...

[...]

Is that card only 10bt? Most anything made within the last few years is
10/100 which does use all pairs, and you have to use the right signals
on each pair for it to work.
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article oIXaf.2787$vC6.1314@trnddc05, James Sweet wrote:

Is that card only 10bt? Most anything made within the last few years is
10/100 which does use all pairs, and you have to use the right signals
on each pair for it to work.

100 base T and 1000 base T use the same wires. (1,2,3,6). Most modern
ethernet transcievers (2 years old or less) don't care if about the wiring
of the pair or if the pairs are reversed.

If you are connecting up to a modern hub such as a WiFi router with
a built in 4 port hub, then it will probably work as long as you get the
correct wires and keep the correct pairs (1,2 or 2,1) and (3,6 or 6,3)
no matter which set you connect to the other end.

I have an ethernet port next to my kitchen table so that if I have to
work on a computer, I can just plug it in. Since my hub is 10/100 autosensing
of direction and speed, I just keep a reversal cable nearby. That way
I can use the same cable to connect to the hub, or computer-computer
with older computers.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.
CJT

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

In article oIXaf.2787$vC6.1314@trnddc05, James Sweet wrote:

Is that card only 10bt? Most anything made within the last few years is
10/100 which does use all pairs, and you have to use the right signals
on each pair for it to work.

100 base T and 1000 base T use the same wires. (1,2,3,6).

You sure about that? My recollection is that Gigabit uses all 8.

Most modern
ethernet transcievers (2 years old or less) don't care if about the wiring
of the pair or if the pairs are reversed.

Not sure what you mean by that. The electronics can't tell whether you
(consistently) swap the white+color and color, as long as you keep the
pairings intact. But they will certainly balk at mixing a wire from one
pair with a wire from another pair.

If you are connecting up to a modern hub such as a WiFi router with
a built in 4 port hub, then it will probably work as long as you get the
correct wires and keep the correct pairs (1,2 or 2,1) and (3,6 or 6,3)
no matter which set you connect to the other end.

I guess I'm still unsure what you mean. They're differential
transducers, so the difference is what's important.

I have an ethernet port next to my kitchen table so that if I have to
work on a computer, I can just plug it in. Since my hub is 10/100 autosensing
of direction and speed, I just keep a reversal cable nearby. That way
I can use the same cable to connect to the hub, or computer-computer
with older computers.

If by "direction" you mean X vs II, then it's probably a switch.
Or do you mean duplex?

Geoff.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , CJT wrote:
You sure about that? My recollection is that Gigabit uses all 8.

I'll check, I've don't think so, but occasionaly I'm wrong. :-)

Not sure what you mean by that. The electronics can't tell whether you
(consistently) swap the white+color and color, as long as you keep the
pairings intact. But they will certainly balk at mixing a wire from one
pair with a wire from another pair.

Yes, that's true.

If by "direction" you mean X vs II, then it's probably a switch.
Or do you mean duplex?

All 10/100 hubs are by switches. How else could they adjust the speed?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"CJT" wrote in message
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

In article oIXaf.2787$vC6.1314@trnddc05, James Sweet wrote:

Is that card only 10bt? Most anything made within the last few years is
10/100 which does use all pairs, and you have to use the right signals
on each pair for it to work.

100 base T and 1000 base T use the same wires. (1,2,3,6).

You sure about that? My recollection is that Gigabit uses all 8.

1000BaseT is 2 pair, and most Gigibit uses 2 pair.

If they didn't they couldn't do Power Over Ethernet (PoE) injection
on the first pair, 4&5 B)

RwP