Marv Soloff

Default ATT Worldnet Credit Card Scam

Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as an ISP. This scam
just came across:

"Recently we attempted to authorize payment from your credit card we
have on file for you, but it was declined.

For security purposes, our system automatically removes credit card
information from an account when there is a problem or the card expires.

Please resubmit the credit card, and provide us with new and complete
information. To resubmit credit card information via our secure server,
click the following link:

https://my.att.net/AuthN.login?sid=c0?p=addcreditcard

This is the quickest and easiest method of getting credit card
information to us. Using the secure server will ensure that the credit
card will be placed on account within 24 hours."

© 2003 AT&T. All rights reserved.

Pretty clever. You have been warned.

Regards,

Marv

Leo Lichtman

Marv Soloff wrote: Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as an
ISP
^^^^^^^^^^^
I got a warning directly from ATT about this scam. Never let your guard
down.

Toolbert

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Marv Soloff wrote: Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as

an
ISP
^^^^^^^^^^^
I got a warning directly from ATT about this scam. Never let your guard
down.

That looked like a legit link. Would someone explain the scam part? thanks

Marv Soloff

It looks like a re-direct to some other server then a release to ATT
once the credit card info is deposited. Here is the real ATT message:

"Dear AT&T Worldnet Service Member,

You may have received a fraudulent email with the Subject line of
"Billing Update Requested (URGENT) " from a sender's address that is
either or . This
counterfeit email requests that you resubmit your credit card
information for billing purposes.

This email is not from AT&T Worldnet Service. Please do not respond to
it - instead disregard and delete it.

If you have already provided your credit card information in response to
the fraudulent email, we recommend you notify your credit card issuer
immediately.

If at any time you receive an email requesting billing information,
please be aware that it is likely to be a scam. Authentic billing
notifications sent by AT&T Worldnet Service will always direct you to
visit the AT&T Worldnet Member Services secure site, where you will
login with your userid and password to update your billing information.)
Please forward any suspicious email to AT&T Special Investigations at
."

For more information on how to protect yourself against identity theft,
please visit the US Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft web site,
at
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft

Sincerely,

AT&T Worldnet Service"

Guard thy wicket!

Regards,

Marv

Toolbert wrote:
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Marv Soloff wrote: Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as

an

ISP
^^^^^^^^^^^
I got a warning directly from ATT about this scam. Never let your guard
down.

That looked like a legit link. Would someone explain the scam part? thanks

Abrasha

Marv Soloff wrote:
=

Heads up - for those on the NG using ATT Worldnet as an ISP. This scam
just came across:
=

"Recently we attempted to authorize payment from your credit card we
have on file for you, but it was declined.
=

For security purposes, our system automatically removes credit card
information from an account when there is a problem or the card expires=

=2E
=

https://my.att.net/AuthN.login?sid=3...Daddcreditcard
=

This is the quickest and easiest method of getting credit card
information to us. Using the secure server will ensure that the credit
card will be placed on account within 24 hours."
=

=A9 2003 AT&T. All rights reserved.
=

Pretty clever. You have been warned.
=

It's not clever at all. It's as transparent as those Nigerian (lately So=
ut
African) letter scams, the eBay and PayPal scams. Or the virus in email =
scams.

Only a fool will fall for these.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

JR North

The \my.att.net... should tip off even the most gullible
viewer.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

--