James Sweet

Default ethernet card

gb wrote:
"glc" wrote in message ...

Hi
I puchased a socket LP-E pcmcia card from an auction site.
Unfortunately the socket pcmcia card was supplied with a xircom
connectivity cable and it doesn't work.
Is it possible to rewire an existing connectivity cable ?
I have attempted to use an oscilloscope on an RJ45 cable to see if I can
compare the trace on the 'unknown' cable with a 'known good pcmcia card
with cable' on the oscilloscope when using the 'ping' command,(but the
cable is going nowhere, unterminated) and I find that I cannot get a good
result.
Can I use an oscilloscope to view the result of a ping command ?
What results should I expect on the 8 pins of a RJ45 cable ?

thanx

GC

Ethernet (10--Base-T) using the UTP connector -- only uses pin 1/2 and pin
3/6 ... pin 4/5 are not used to avoid tip/ting POTS possible cross connect
mistakes
and pin 7/8 also not used to avoid other uses.
All covered in the IEEE 10-Base-T, EIA/TIA 568 standards and equivalent EU
standards

gb

Is that card only 10bt? Most anything made within the last few years is
10/100 which does use all pairs, and you have to use the right signals
on each pair for it to work.