Ken G.

Default Bulbs in an LCD tv .

I took apart a 20 inch Samsung LCD tv today . It is last years model .
The screen only 1/3 lit up .
I was supprized to see about a dozen very tiny in diameter very long
florescent bulbs lined up behind the entire screen . I thought these
bulbs were around the edges .
The bulbs are only held at both ends leaving the fragile bulbs hanging .
As i suspected one of them was broken in half .
Dont drop one of these or let it tip over !

James Sweet

Ken G. wrote:
I took apart a 20 inch Samsung LCD tv today . It is last years model .
The screen only 1/3 lit up .
I was supprized to see about a dozen very tiny in diameter very long
florescent bulbs lined up behind the entire screen . I thought these
bulbs were around the edges .
The bulbs are only held at both ends leaving the fragile bulbs hanging .
As i suspected one of them was broken in half .
Dont drop one of these or let it tip over !

They do that to get adequate brightness and uniformity, CCFL tubes
aren't too hard to source nor are they particularly expensive so a
repair shouldn't be too hard.