Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
tempus fugit

Default unit hums loudly regardless of volume

Hey all;

I'm trying to repair an old tube portable record player. When it is on, it
hums really loud, regardless of the volume. I assumed that this must be a
problem with filter caps, but they test OK for ESR and shorts. 1 of the
problems is that there are 3 or 4 in a can, so I don't know what the values
are supposed to be.

Is there anything else that may cause this symptom? I suppose I could
parallel some caps across the existing ones, but I don't even know what the
values are supposed to be.

Thanks