Barney

Default Micrwave oven

I have a Samsung M1714 Microwave that has stopped working. It appears to
operate ok but there is no heating. Although I have been involved with
electronics all my life, I know very little about microwave ovens but I
decided to have a quick check. I found a glass fuse - contained within a
plastic holder - that is open circuit - 11/4 inch, 0.75 Amp and rated at
5kV. In series with this is a diode - HVR 1X 3 - that reads short circuit.
Would replacing these be likely to solve the problem, or is it probable that
there is something else - anyone got any any ideas/advice?

Sam Goldwasser

"Barney" writes:

I have a Samsung M1714 Microwave that has stopped working. It appears to
operate ok but there is no heating. Although I have been involved with
electronics all my life, I know very little about microwave ovens but I
decided to have a quick check. I found a glass fuse - contained within a
plastic holder - that is open circuit - 11/4 inch, 0.75 Amp and rated at
5kV. In series with this is a diode - HVR 1X 3 - that reads short circuit.
Would replacing these be likely to solve the problem, or is it probable that
there is something else - anyone got any any ideas/advice?

Replacing the HV diode and fuse may fix it unless something else caused
the diode to short. It's worth trying.

But, realize that microwave ovens are the MOST DANGEROUS home appilance
to service so make sure you read and understand the SAFETY info at the
site below.

Barney

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Barney" writes:

[...]

Many thanks, yes I am aware of the inherent dangers of microwave ovens - and
I am treating the thing with due respect! Does that HV diode need to be an
exact replacement?

Sam Goldwasser

"Barney" writes:

[...]

Generally, no. A 15 kV generic microwave oven diode should be fine
assuming it's the typical half wave doubler circuit.

James Sweet

"Barney" wrote in message
I have a Samsung M1714 Microwave that has stopped working. It appears to
operate ok but there is no heating. Although I have been involved with
electronics all my life, I know very little about microwave ovens but I
decided to have a quick check. I found a glass fuse - contained within a
plastic holder - that is open circuit - 11/4 inch, 0.75 Amp and rated at
5kV. In series with this is a diode - HVR 1X 3 - that reads short circuit.
Would replacing these be likely to solve the problem, or is it probable

that
there is something else - anyone got any any ideas/advice?

Go ahead and replace them, the diodes are only about 6 bucks, it'll probably
work after that.