Vendetta

Default Philips Magnavox 8P6044 Problem

Just for starters, I have no knowledge about television repair at all.
When I am watching my television white oblects have a blue shadow. It
is like the screen is a bit hazy when there is a lot of white on the
screen and when there are really large white words on the screen you
can really see a blue glow around the borders of the words. Does
anyone have an idea of what my problem could be and how I can fix it?

Alain Beguin

Vendetta a écrit/wrote/schreef le/on/op 17/10/2005 H. Ignaas ;
Just for starters, I have no knowledge about television repair at all.
When I am watching my television white oblects have a blue shadow. It
is like the screen is a bit hazy when there is a lot of white on the
screen and when there are really large white words on the screen you
can really see a blue glow around the borders of the words. Does
anyone have an idea of what my problem could be and how I can fix it?

Looks like a picture tube problem, very common with Philips/Magnavox
sets.

Try to reduce the contrast, maybe it will be better.
If you have no knowledge it would be better to ask a serviceman to have
a look at it :-)

--
Alain http://users.edpnet.be/albeguin/
MesNews Translators Team (Nederlands)

John-Del

Look into the three tubes while the TV is running, and observe the
picture quality of the three. Usually, the red is crisp and clear, the
green somewhat (or really) hazy, and the blue's picture nearly
obliterated from bacteria growing in the coolant. If the coolant is
clear, it can be a weak CRT. If the images are as I described, the
problem is the coolant, which is a very common problem is Philips. The
blue and green CRTs need to be removed from the light box to be
serviced. The coolant needs to be drained, the CRT assemblies
disassembled and totally scrubbed clean and refilled, then reinstalled
and converged. While the red tube in Philips products doesn't usually
get cloudy, the fluid does yellow somewhat. I always service all
three tubes together.

Leonard Caillouet

John,

How much do you charge for these and where are you located? We charge $240
labor in shop plus the coolant, add pickup and delivery if they can't bring
it in. It amazes me that we are still seeing these sets with the same
problem. Didn't they ever figure it out. I did one recently that was only
4 years old.

Leonard

"John-Del" wrote in message
ups.com...
Look into the three tubes while the TV is running, and observe the
picture quality of the three. Usually, the red is crisp and clear, the
green somewhat (or really) hazy, and the blue's picture nearly
obliterated from bacteria growing in the coolant. If the coolant is
clear, it can be a weak CRT. If the images are as I described, the
problem is the coolant, which is a very common problem is Philips. The
blue and green CRTs need to be removed from the light box to be
serviced. The coolant needs to be drained, the CRT assemblies
disassembled and totally scrubbed clean and refilled, then reinstalled
and converged. While the red tube in Philips products doesn't usually
get cloudy, the fluid does yellow somewhat. I always service all
three tubes together.

John-Del

Leonard,

I'm in central CT, and we get about $275 plus tax on a carry in, and
$325 plus tax in the home for all three tubes removed, scrubbed, and
refilled. Believe it or not, there are guys that siphon the tubes and
refill them through the expansion chamber. Needless to say the results
aren't good.

John

ray13

Our flat rate was $400. I knew one guy used a detergent to wash out the
insides and refill them. We had to send the coolant to a hazardous
waste dump to after saving it in red gallon cans, then to a 55 gallon
drum that went to the dump.