MCP

Default Toshiba 21S04BG Colour TV Service Mode?

Hi All, Can anyone please tell me if this set has a sevice mode and how to get into it?

I can access the menu ok to change to sound and that by just pressing the menu button on the remote
but can not get the S to appear on screen,help!!

George

sofie

George:
You will really need the service manual so you can make intelligent changes in the service mode menu, otherwise it is very, very easy to foul things up and then it will have to go to service shop.
What exactly are you trying "fix" in the service mode???: Maybe you can get some good suggestions if you provide some more information.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"MCP" wrote in message . uk...
Hi All, Can anyone please tell me if this set has a sevice mode and how to get into it?

I can access the menu ok to change to sound and that by just pressing the menu button on the remote
but can not get the S to appear on screen,help!!

George

Skype_man

Put the volume on minimum on the front volume down button,
then hold the volume down button, while holding the number 9
on the remote. This will get you in. Be careful not to foul it up,
& write down each setting. There are a lot. Sky.

Andrew

George

Out of curiousity, are you expecting the service mode to help with the
colour tearing fault we're both experiencing when the set warms up?
Unless you know something I don't, I doubt that this is realistically
going to cure the problem.

That aside, I plan to keep this as my main TV once it's repaired -
perhaps we should club together and buy a .pdf service manual from
Mauritron?

MCP

"Andrew" wrote in message oups.com...
George

Out of curiousity, are you expecting the service mode to help with the
colour tearing fault we're both experiencing when the set warms up?
Unless you know something I don't, I doubt that this is realistically
going to cure the problem.

That aside, I plan to keep this as my main TV once it's repaired -
perhaps we should club together and buy a .pdf service manual from
Mauritron?

Hi Andrew, No i am working in the dark with this and as the set works fine
most of the time i have not "ripped it apart yet",the fault on my one only seems
to happen after the set has been on for a while,then switched off for an hour or so
and then back on again when then green tinge and tearing appears.This leads me to think it
is probably a heat fault or bad solder joint.I have a service manual for this and will try to scan it
and turn it into a file that i can send on PC.Note i have not done this before so might mess it up ;-)

George

MCP

Default Ping Andrew:- Toshiba 21S04BG Colour TV Service Mode?

"MCP" wrote in message . uk...

[...]

Hi Andrew,I have managed to scan the Toshiba manual and can send it to you,it is 2.47mb in PDF.
The circuit diagrams are not to clear but it was the best i could get,does your e-mail address accept
files of this size?

George

Andrew

Hi George,
It's great you have a copy of the manual and you're willing to share
it, thank you! My email address is:
andrew dot w dot turner at gmail dot com
It should have a pretty decent space quota so there's no worries on
that account.

With time permitting, I'm hoping to spend an hour or so on it tomorrow.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Andrew

George,
Many thanks for emailing the manual. I've managed to fix the problem
but I'd like to go back over it again once I get to figure out how to
get the set into Service Mode (more on that in a moment).

Section 4-4 of the manual (SCREEN Adjustment) was the clue I needed. At
the foot of the page it says "If you do not follow this procedure, the
picture may be abnormal. For example, when the TV set is on, the
picture becames(sic) brighter gradually". This tied in with the fault
disappearing when the colour temperature was changed and also by it
being ok briefly after switch on (on a warm set) - something had
drifted and the set was compensating.

I managed to correct the problem by *slightly* adjusting the Screen G2
control clockwise [this is the bottom of the two controls on the line
output transformer].

I hope you have the same luck as I did. If you find that the Screen
control on your set needs a large adjustment then that might indicate
another problem. Let me know how you get on.

Now then, SERVICE MODE...
The instructions in section 4-7 of the manual didn't work for me,
namely:
[PICTURE OFF]-[DISPLAY]-[MENU]-[MUTE]-[PICTURE ON]

Quite possibly I'm not translating the instructions into the correct
buttons on the remote. I also tried Skype_man's instructions (above)
and they didn't appear to work either. Did you manage to get into
Service Mode?

MCP

"Andrew" wrote in message ps.com...
[...]

Andrew, i resoldered the crt board and all the points on the LOT and did some adjusting like
you did on the two controls,and am now getting a near perfect picture.

And like you i just cannot get into the service mode?