Default Pioneer DEH-7400 Display Malfunction

Hey everyone!

I've had the above unit for 3 years, and for the last 1.5 yrs, the
display has stopped working. Everything else works fine, flawlessly -
even though the display is not functional, i can adjust bass, sound,
etc. (takes practice as there are 7 'screens' to 'scroll' through

Here's the kicker, when it's hot (after driving for a while in the
summer, or when the car heat is on for 30 - 45 min) the display starts
to flicker back on, and then works fine! Even after stopping/powering
down for a few minutes, and then back on, it works great! Then, once
it cools, the display malfunctions.

I'm pretty handy with electronics, so if anyone could point me in the
right direction (similiar experience?) I'll attempt a repair. It's
something contracting/expanding in dere...

Thanks and cheers!!

Matt

Dave D

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey everyone!

I've had the above unit for 3 years, and for the last 1.5 yrs, the
display has stopped working. Everything else works fine, flawlessly -
even though the display is not functional, i can adjust bass, sound,
etc. (takes practice as there are 7 'screens' to 'scroll' through

Here's the kicker, when it's hot (after driving for a while in the
summer, or when the car heat is on for 30 - 45 min) the display starts
to flicker back on, and then works fine! Even after stopping/powering
down for a few minutes, and then back on, it works great! Then, once
it cools, the display malfunctions.

I'm pretty handy with electronics, so if anyone could point me in the
right direction (similiar experience?) I'll attempt a repair. It's
something contracting/expanding in dere...

Thanks and cheers!!

Matt

Is it a flourescent vacuum display? I'd suspect electrolytic capacitors in
the circuit supplying the filaments.

Dave