Default Kenwood KRF-V7020D

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have surround sound
speakers and have not had any trouble with this system until I switched
to digital HDTV cable. During test mode sound is output from all four
speakers, but I cannot get sound from the rear speakers during playback
and cannot get digital sound from any source, although everything is
set to digital. I tried moving the surround speaker wires and when I
hooked them to the speaker outlets for front speakers could hear them
in regular playback, but not in the testing mode. Also, the volume
does not seem as loud as it should be. This is probably something
simple, but I'm recently widowed and my husband was the gadget person.
Thanks for any suggestions.