Default modding a pc power supply

I have a salvaged pc power supply I use as an adjustable bench supply.
But it won't go above about 14.9 volts. Apparently it has an
overvoltage protection circuit. The board has a TL494 (house-numbered
equivalent), and the only other chip on the board is a dual comparator.
The power supply is a Fortron/Source FS-250S40G.
I have another supply that also hits a ceiling when I adjust the
voltage, a Falcon Technology PE-250X with a 494 chip and a 14-pin chip
labeled DBL 339.

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a salvaged pc power supply I use as an adjustable bench supply.
But it won't go above about 14.9 volts. Apparently it has an
overvoltage protection circuit. The board has a TL494 (house-numbered
equivalent), and the only other chip on the board is a dual comparator.
The power supply is a Fortron/Source FS-250S40G.
I have another supply that also hits a ceiling when I adjust the
voltage, a Falcon Technology PE-250X with a 494 chip and a 14-pin chip
labeled DBL 339.

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

Look up a datasheet for the controller chip and see how they do the
protection, it shouldn't be too hard to trace the circuit and disable it.

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

Look up a datasheet for the controller chip and see how they do the
protection, it shouldn't be too hard to trace the circuit and disable it.

If it was that easy, I wouldn't ask. Those chips don't have a shutdown
pin or anything real obvious like that. I've spent a lot of time
looking at the datasheet and the circuit board.
I was looking for a germane response from somebody with hands-on
knowledge of the issue.

Michael Black

) writes:

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

Look up a datasheet for the controller chip and see how they do the
protection, it shouldn't be too hard to trace the circuit and disable it.

If it was that easy, I wouldn't ask. Those chips don't have a shutdown
pin or anything real obvious like that. I've spent a lot of time
looking at the datasheet and the circuit board.
I was looking for a germane response from somebody with hands-on
knowledge of the issue.

But what makes you think there is a voltage limiter in there? The
design may simply be such that it won't output more than a bit above
the intended output. After all, it's not a general purpose power supply,
it's intended for a very specific purpose with very specific voltages.

At the very least, again this is a good reason to look at the datasheet,
there may be resistors in there to limit the range of the variable
that you are presumably playing with, so someone fiddling with it cannot
output too much voltage. Or there may be something else in the design
that limits the maximum output voltage. So you have to fiddle
with the design, and maybe find that it can't be done at all.

Michael

At the very least, again this is a good reason to look at the datasheet,
there may be resistors in there

Nope, no resistors in the data sheet.

DaveM

"Michael Black" wrote in message

) writes:

[...]

Michael is correct. THese power supplies are designed very tightly in order
to get good efficiency . If they were designed to be capable of generating
significantly higher voltages, the efficiency would drop significantly. The
switching transformer in particular is designed for exact voltages, and
without modification of the secondaries, increased voltage probably isn't
possible.
Look at the article at http://www.pavouk.comp.cz/hw/en_atxps.html for a
typical schematic and theory.

Cheers!!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

James Sweet

) writes:

[...]

Silicon Chip had an article a while back where they did just that and were
getting 200V+ out to drive a vacuum tube device. With such high frequencies
you don't need many turns at all on the secondary, an extra turn or two will
probably push it's capability easily past 14v.

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

Michael

Look at the article at http://www.pavouk.comp.cz/hw/en_atxps.html for a

typical schematic and theory.

Thank you for the link.

Chris Jones

I have a salvaged pc power supply I use as an adjustable bench supply.
But it won't go above about 14.9 volts. Apparently it has an
overvoltage protection circuit. The board has a TL494 (house-numbered
equivalent), and the only other chip on the board is a dual comparator.
The power supply is a Fortron/Source FS-250S40G.
I have another supply that also hits a ceiling when I adjust the
voltage, a Falcon Technology PE-250X with a 494 chip and a 14-pin chip
labeled DBL 339.

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

I have done this recently. There was an 8 pin dual comparator chip, and one
side was used to generate the 'power good' signal, the other side was used
for the overvoltage shutdown. I think the chip you have with the 339 in
the part number is probably a clone of the LM339, so download that
datasheet. The overvoltage comparator had a diode from the output pin to
the non-inverting input so that once triggered it would stay latched
shut-off. It also had a diode from the +5V power output terminal to [many
other things and] a resistor to the non-inverting input, which would cause
the thing to trip when the diode turned on. I put a few more 1N4148 diodes
in series with the original diode to raise the threshold as necessary,
whilst still preserving some overvoltage protection.

Trace the circuit diagram of your supply, it is worth it, and it won't take
long if you concentrate on the interesting part of the board. Use a
waterproof overhead marker to draw in the components on the solder side of
the board if this helps. Don't worry about the component values at first.

Good luck,

Chris

Wanted: Someone to examine switchmode power supply... William R. Walsh Electronics Repair 2 October 9th 05 01:09 PM
Converting old PC power supply to hobbyist PSU Adam Preble Electronics 0 February 27th 05 07:43 PM
Need help re power supply for new Digital (DLP) tv R. Bharat Rao Home Ownership 3 February 24th 05 03:43 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sony VCR Power Supply Don Satman Electronics Repair 9 January 23rd 04 05:48 PM