Michael Black

) writes:

Is there some way I can disable the overvoltage protection on these
power supplies?

Look up a datasheet for the controller chip and see how they do the
protection, it shouldn't be too hard to trace the circuit and disable it.

If it was that easy, I wouldn't ask. Those chips don't have a shutdown
pin or anything real obvious like that. I've spent a lot of time
looking at the datasheet and the circuit board.
I was looking for a germane response from somebody with hands-on
knowledge of the issue.

But what makes you think there is a voltage limiter in there? The
design may simply be such that it won't output more than a bit above
the intended output. After all, it's not a general purpose power supply,
it's intended for a very specific purpose with very specific voltages.

At the very least, again this is a good reason to look at the datasheet,
there may be resistors in there to limit the range of the variable
that you are presumably playing with, so someone fiddling with it cannot
output too much voltage. Or there may be something else in the design
that limits the maximum output voltage. So you have to fiddle
with the design, and maybe find that it can't be done at all.

Michael