yhan

Default atx mobo not powering

greetings,

had anyone come to this problem: i have an atx mobo that does not power
up. I tried the suspected atx psu to other motherboard but it works
fine. So I connected it again to the mobo with problem, tested the
switch, no problem, used flat screw to short the remote power switch
but no effect. Not powering up still. The fact that its psu works in
the other motherboard means that the atx psu is not the problem. I also
tried another known working psu but it still does not power up. If the
problem lies in the motherboard circuitry for remote switch, is there
any possible alternative to power the computer? by the way, I tried
shorting the green wire and ground (black) while connected to the mobo.
It powers up but it always says no "KEYBOARD ERROR OR KEYBOARD NOT
PRESENT".
anyone please enlighten me of this problem.
thanks in advance,
ian

jango2

....used flat screw to short the remote power switch but no effect. Not
powering up still.
by the way, I tried shorting the green wire and ground (black) while
connected to the mobo.
It powers up but it always says no "KEYBOARD ERROR OR KEYBOARD NOT
PRESENT".
Hi,
Are the wires on the remote power switch green and black ?. From what u
said i can't help concluding that the wires between switch and mobo's
power switch connector have a break.
Boot up stalls sometimes when no keyboard is connected. One has to
enter bios (press delete to enter bios) and select the appropriate
"halt" options ( All but keyboard )
Connect a keyboard and see what happens. Doesn't the screen prompt u to
continue by pressing F7 ?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article .com, yhan wrote:

had anyone come to this problem: i have an atx mobo that does not power
up. I tried the suspected atx psu to other motherboard but it works
fine. So I connected it again to the mobo with problem, tested the
switch, no problem, used flat screw to short the remote power switch
but no effect. Not powering up still.

Did you check the battery?

Geoff.
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.
3T39

Hello, yhan!
You wrote on 13 Sep 2005 00:20:25 -0700:

y greetings,

y had anyone come to this problem: i have an atx mobo that does not power
y up. I tried the suspected atx psu to other motherboard but it works
y fine. So I connected it again to the mobo with problem, tested the
y switch, no problem, used flat screw to short the remote power switch
y but no effect. Not powering up still. The fact that its psu works in
y the other motherboard means that the atx psu is not the problem. I also
y tried another known working psu but it still does not power up. If the
y problem lies in the motherboard circuitry for remote switch, is there
y any possible alternative to power the computer? by the way, I tried
y shorting the green wire and ground (black) while connected to the mobo.
y It powers up but it always says no "KEYBOARD ERROR OR KEYBOARD NOT
y PRESENT".
y anyone please enlighten me of this problem.
y thanks in advance,
y ian

Remove the mainboard from the case, carefully examine all electrolytic
capacitors for bulging tops or leaking electrolyte. NEVER enable PSU by
jumping the green to ground while it's connected to the mainboard. If the
mainboard doesn't want to start, it has a good reason. Try the mainboard on
the desk with only the Monitor, PSU and Keyboard connected. If you still
have no luck, and even if you see no problem with the caps, I would still
suspect them anyway. From what you say the CPU and memory are OK, The PSU is
OK that only leaves the Mainboard.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

yhan

i tested the switch using ohm meter and there is working fine. I think
it would be difficult to trace the line if the problem is the mobo.

yhan

yes i checked the battery. it's ok. maybe the fine wire in the mobo
from psu connector to the remote mobo switch connector had gone open.
possible cure?

yhan

Remove the mainboard from the case, carefully examine all electrolytic
capacitors for bulging tops or leaking electrolyte. NEVER enable PSU by

jumping the green to ground while it's connected to the mainboard. If
the
mainboard doesn't want to start, it has a good reason. Try the
mainboard on
the desk with only the Monitor, PSU and Keyboard connected. If you
still
have no luck, and even if you see no problem with the caps, I would
still
suspect them anyway. From what you say the CPU and memory are OK, The
PSU is
OK that only leaves the Mainboard.

- thanks for the input. i inspected capacitor, nothing bulging out. i
dont have an esr meter, only ohmeter but it would be difficult to test
capacitor in- circuit... and i think desoldering a suspected caps in
the mainboard would be a difficult tastk.

new progress..

remove the mainboard from the case. connected the memory and cpu, then
connect to the monitor. turned on, yes it powered up but after the
monitor got a display for a few seconds only, maybe 2 sec, it shuts
down. repeat the test and achieve same result. what causes the computer
to shutdown?bad/shorted motherboard?

thanks,

ian

Dave D

"yhan" wrote in message
ups.com...

remove the mainboard from the case. connected the memory and cpu, then
connect to the monitor. turned on, yes it powered up but after the
monitor got a display for a few seconds only, maybe 2 sec, it shuts
down. repeat the test and achieve same result. what causes the computer
to shutdown?bad/shorted motherboard?

It could be anything- incorrect PSU voltages, bad chipset, bad caps or,
about the worst scenario- CPU regulators! Don't use a CPU you value while
testing a motherboard- it could destroy the CPU very quickly indeed. My
advice- bin the mobo and get a new one.

Dave

Dave D

"yhan" wrote in message
ups.com...

- thanks for the input. i inspected capacitor, nothing bulging out. i
dont have an esr meter, only ohmeter but it would be difficult to test
capacitor in- circuit...

More to the point, it would be a complete waste of time. An ohmeter will
tell you nothing worth knowing about the caps, other than whether they're
shorted.

and i think desoldering a suspected caps in
the mainboard would be a difficult tastk.

On some motherboards, it is a real challenge cleaning out the plated
through-holes on the ground side to accept the new caps. Others aren't so
bad.

Dave

crazy frog

check the caps that are around any hot
spots on the mobo like around the reguators
and cpu, i did a p2 the other day, it was
caps near the mobo regs.

"yhan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

inti2

yhan ha scritto:

Remove the mainboard from the case, carefully examine all electrolytic
capacitors for bulging tops or leaking electrolyte. NEVER enable PSU by

jumping the green to ground while it's connected to the mainboard. If
the
mainboard doesn't
remove the mainboard from the case. connected the memory and cpu, then
connect to the monitor. turned on, yes it powered up but after the
monitor got a display for a few seconds only, maybe 2 sec, it shuts
down. repeat the test and achieve same result. what causes the computer
to shutdown?bad/shorted motherboard?

Maybe defective Electrolytic caps.

I.

--