Ryan Underwood

Default Zenith TV ~1993 blur/dark

Got a high end Zenith TV, think it's a 29". Looks to be somewhere from 90-94
model. S-video, PiP, lots of dandy stuff for a CRT set. Don't have the model
number on hand, I'll post it later. Hasn't been turned on in about 5 years.
The picture is darker than it should be and a little blurry. The CRT filaments
do not appear to be as bright as they ought to be. Tried adjusting the focus
and brightness on the flyback without much success, only washed the image out
more. Is it likely to be a junker, or maybe something wrong in the flyback or
the power supply of the CRT? The thing I don't like is not seeing bright
orange CRT filaments. I think that may mean trouble. Too bad, it's a nice
set otherwise.

kip

No such a thing as High End Zenith...
Sounds like the regular Zenith CRT failure..

Best Replace the thing..
kip
"Ryan Underwood" wrote in message
[...]

Bright orange filaments usually mean a problem in most standard picture
tubes.

Jumpster Jiver

Ryan Underwood wrote:
Got a high end Zenith TV, think it's a 29". Looks to be somewhere from 90-94
model. S-video, PiP, lots of dandy stuff for a CRT set. Don't have the model
number on hand, I'll post it later. Hasn't been turned on in about 5 years.
The picture is darker than it should be and a little blurry. The CRT filaments
do not appear to be as bright as they ought to be. Tried adjusting the focus
and brightness on the flyback without much success, only washed the image out
more. Is it likely to be a junker, or maybe something wrong in the flyback or
the power supply of the CRT? The thing I don't like is not seeing bright
orange CRT filaments. I think that may mean trouble. Too bad, it's a nice
set otherwise.

Zenith Tvs of that era are known for CRT failures, probably a junker.
Do Little2

"Jumpster Jiver" wrote in message
Ryan Underwood wrote:
[...]

Look for (4 - 5) 120 Kohm resistors on the CRT board that changed
value... usually well into the Megohms. After changing those resistors
most Zenith's appeared okay again.

Ryan Underwood

"Do Little2" writes:

Zenith Tvs of that era are known for CRT failures, probably a junker.

Look for (4 - 5) 120 Kohm resistors on the CRT board that changed
value... usually well into the Megohms. After changing those resistors
most Zenith's appeared okay again.

Well, there's a lead to try out. I'll let y'all know if anything comes of it.
Thanks!