Default RCA VR678HF VCR ticking PS

I have a RCA VR678HF that is totally dead except for a ticking sound.
I have fixed two other pieces of equipment that had bad caps and from
what I hear that is the problem here. From what I read on this group
the C09 cap is the culprit in this case, I see a C809 surface mount cap
on the back of the board, is this the 22uF 16Volt non-polar
electrolytic cap I am supposed to be replacing? I haven't fixed any
surface mount parts yet, but I will try if that is the problem. I
checked some of the other caps, the large 100uf 200V cap seems to be
bad, and the R817 resistor is bad, from my internet searches the R817
is a "resistor fuse" at 0.87. The transistor seems alright. Any hints
or details would be appreciated.

TIA,
-D

D:
NO..... C809 is NOT C09. C09 is a small electrolytic on the top
side of the board next to the switching transistor.... it is NOT a
surface mount cap.
More than likely the problem you described is not only C09 but also ALL
the other electrolytics are suspect and unless you have an ESR meter to
test them you should just replace them all... not that expensive if you
obtain the service kits available from on-line electronics suppliers
like MCM Electronics.
The reason the power supply is ticking is because there is more than
likely a shorted 18V zener diode on the secondary side due to loss of
regulation caused by the high ESR electrolytics.
If you are not certain how to proceed you should go to the website for
this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
and plan to spend some quality search time there to find the wealth of
troubleshooting, testing and repair information there.... otherwise
you might want to TAKE your VCR to a service shop for what should be a
fairly straightforward repair.... or at the very least, get a repair
cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts
instead of guesses.
electricitym
= = = = = = = = =

Thanks for the reply. I'm either gonna fix it myself or chuck it in
the trash. I only use it so I can get the higher channels (and inputs
for xbox) on my old crappy TV. I really like the feeling when I can fix
something myself, I might have to look into an ESR meter. Thanks again.

sofie

Gee..... replacing ALL the caps in the power supply is a heck of a lot
cheaper than buying an ESR meter. Look at some of the on-line electronics
suppliers like MCM, Dalbani, MAT Electronics, etc...... cap kits for most
VCRs can be had for $10 to $15...... and be certain to check the diodes and
transistors again for shorts.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie