Brian

Default Ticking sound from Sanyo 27'' TV

I just purchased a Sanyo 27" TV set. When the set
is turn off (stand by mode) it makes a soft fast ticking sound
from the back of the set. When the set is turned on, the ticking
sound is gone. I called sanyo Cust. Service and they said this was
normal for this model tv. They said it was coming from the transformer
and it was part of the tv's normal operation. Is this correct, or should
I return set back to store.

Thanks for any help!
KILOWATT

Maybe with a model number, someone here with a lot of experience or a
schematic may better help you to determine if this is a "normal trouble".
But let me say, the only fast ticking sound i've been able to hear on
correctly working computer monitors and TV sets is the sound from the
vertical deflection winding on the yoke that is mounted on the picture tube.
If the TV set is recent, the standby circuitry is made from a switching
power supply that operate at high frequencies that can't be heard.
Nonetheless some badly designed power supplies or defectives ones oscillate
at a low audible frequency when the current draw is low, wich is probably
the case when the set is "off".
--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec