Lazarian

Default Sharp VCR heat problem?

I just finished repairing a Sharp VC-H870C HiFi vcr (dirty mode
switch - thanks to this newsgroup and the vcr repair faq's on the
net). It's working well, but the ammount of heat coming off the power
supply has me a little concerned. It's a linear supply, and most of
the heat is coming off the transformer. A thermometer sitting on it
reads 60 degrees centigrade while it's playing. It's not blowing
fuses, and everything else seems to be ok. Would the heat be any cause
for concern? (I'm not a repair tech, just a hobbyist)

I know it's an old unit, made in 1991, but considering the
abyssmal quality of construction of most vcr's nowadays, I'd rather
use this one rather than buy another. It's built like a tank, and the
record and playback quality is excellent.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Lazarian

Lazarian:
60 Deg C or 140 Deg F is not a horrible problem, it should be OK as
long as you don't see other issues like smoke or overheated components
in the subsequent VCR circuitry.... or visual/audio symptoms that could
be related to the power supply ..... if it gets about 10 or 20 Deg
hotter than I would start to be concerned and start checking other
things.
electricitym
- - - - - - -

Lazarian wrote:
I just finished repairing a Sharp VC-H870C HiFi vcr (dirty mode
switch - thanks to this newsgroup and the vcr repair faq's on the
net). It's working well, but the ammount of heat coming off the power
supply has me a little concerned. It's a linear supply, and most of
the heat is coming off the transformer. A thermometer sitting on it
reads 60 degrees centigrade while it's playing. It's not blowing
fuses, and everything else seems to be ok. Would the heat be any cause
for concern? (I'm not a repair tech, just a hobbyist)

I know it's an old unit, made in 1991, but considering the
abyssmal quality of construction of most vcr's nowadays, I'd rather
use this one rather than buy another. It's built like a tank, and the
record and playback quality is excellent.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Lazarian

Weller WTCP-N problem: No Heat Ian Electronics Repair 12 August 24th 04 03:09 AM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Sharp TV 19TB33 problem Scott Electronics Repair 2 May 7th 04 01:10 PM
struggling to find happy heat pump users, DFW TX mheatley Home Repair 2 August 25th 03 01:27 PM
Audio problem with Sharp cd player. Trueman Electronics Repair 1 July 15th 03 02:06 AM