Scott

Default Sharp TV 19TB33 problem

I have a 1991 Sharp TV 19TB33 and all of the sudden the picture flattened
down to about a 2 inch thick strip in the middle of the screen. I can do
most repairs, altough it's been a while since I've used my electronics
skills. I pulled the back off the unit and didn't notice anything obvious
in the sense of a blown part. Although not sure where things are located
on the board, and was being quite wary of the CRT. I've been electrocuted
when I was a kid and it wasn't any fun. So I'm real causious, but also
know that there are right ways of doing stuff. And on that note, would a
CRT discharge tool for a Macintosh monitor work for discharging the CRT on
this or other TVs?

Could someone point me in the right direction of what I need to look for
and where I might get a schematic?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Leonard Caillouet

Three things are pretty common that would cause this problem.

1. bad solder connections at the vertical output IC
2. high esr or leaky capacitors in the vertical circuit or supply to it
3. bad vertical output IC

The repair would be approximately $64-110 in my shop, which is likely
typical. If you don't have good soldering skills, an esr meter, and easy
acces to the parts, you are better off just taking it in to a good shop.

No need to discharge the CRT for this repair. BTW, had you been
electrocuted as a child you wouldn't be posting here. Electrocution is
death by electricity. Regardless, you are wise to be cautious.

Leonard

. ..