**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Default General Electric (Toshiba) JP392R Magnetic Induction Cooktop

My Mom has a General Electric (Toshiba) JP392R Magnetic Induction
Cooktop. One of the induction "burners" has failed. The replacement part
is a WB27X5492 which is a pricy and apparently unavailable module
containing two "burners". GE holds the warranty and says all they will
offer is a conventional cooktop as a replacement. This is not acceptable
to Mom who has had threee of these units over the years and loves them.

Can anyone advise how to obtain replacement parts? Schematics? What is
the common failure? Can right and left modules be exchanged if one finds
a module for the "wrong side"?

Thanks in advance!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
One of the induction "burners" has failed. The replacement part is a
WB27X5492 which is a pricy and apparently unavailable module containing
two "burners".

The only hit on Google for that part number says it is an "ICT RH Inverter
Module". The hit is at a site http://www.pcbr.biz/ that claims to rebuild
NLA appliance control boards, timers, etc. Their price list doesn't include
that part number, but you may want to get in touch with them. If you
haven't already, you might also try asking parts distributors, such as
Marcone, for price and availability on that part number.

Looking up that model number at http://www.partselect.com/ yields a $730
"power module" which apparently contains two burners and most of the drive
electronics. It also shows a couple of Kenmore cooktops that take the
same part; maybe Sears has one in a warehouse somewhere.

GE holds the warranty and says all they will offer is a conventional
cooktop as a replacement. This is not acceptable to Mom who has had
threee of these units over the years and loves them.

Who has pursued it with GE and how far? If only your mother has called,
you might try calling. It's not supposed to be this way, but sometimes
having a man call yields different results. If nothing else, ask for a
top-of-the-line Profile conventional cooktop, then sell it and use the
funds to buy an induction cooktop from someone else.

Can anyone advise how to obtain replacement parts? Schematics?

Just be one out of maybe a dozen people in the world at Toshiba and/or
GE that would have access to this info. Otherwise, forget it.

What is the common failure?

I don't know for sure, but it should be relatively easy to test for
things like an open induction coil. I think the major parts of each
burner module would be the induction coil, one or more beefy
transistor(s) to switch the power to the coil, a power supply, and the
driver circuitry for the transistor(s). Since you have a working
module, it should be possible to compare voltages and waveforms back and
forth to narrow it down a little.

Can right and left modules be exchanged if one finds a module for the
"wrong side"?

I don't know, but I suspect that if it was listed as two different part
numbers, the difference is non-trivial.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money from any of the companies
mentioned.

Matt Roberds

I got one of these tops kicking around. I'm not going to use it.

We should compare notes, if parts will fit, great, if not maybe I'll
sell you the whole thing.

JURB

sesphd

I have the same unit and need a replacment element, large size also. I
have tried to contact GE with the model number to get parts but to no
avail. I could also use all new touch pad surfaces Any help ??

sesphd

I have the same unit and need a replacment element, large size also. I
have tried to contact GE with the model number to get parts but to no
avail. I could also use all new touch pad surfaces Any help ??

Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
R*volume*raduis2 c3po "Theroy of everything" zetasum Electronics Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:21 PM
adding electric circuit for air con + general electric questions James UK diy 5 January 25th 05 10:00 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM