Seventh Prince

Default Point of Sale Terminal cannot detect receipt printers and no display

Hi,

Am doing a repair job on a Point of Sale (POS) terminal which has the
problem of the motherboard's printer socket of failing to recognise the
existance of the printer (the receipt printer is connected to the
terminal's motherboard via a connector).

Was told to change the NPN Darlington transistors (2pairs): one pair is
controlling the slip printer and the other pair is for the roll
printer. The transistors used are Sanken Electronics's SL4031. Some
other boards use Fujitsu Microelectronics's FT5754M. For this
particular board, the original transistors are Sanken's but I am using
the Fujitsus.

After soldering them and powering on the terminal, the printer can be
switched on (it is powered on via the connector thru the motherboard
printer socket). The terminal can be powered on but there's no display:
just a lit-on screen.

Burning smell is present from the motherboard. The terminal still could
not detect the slip printer. Error message is "Printer not installed".
One motherboard LED indicator is not lit and the LED for the printer
sockets is flashing.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks.

Seventh Prince

for the pair of Darlington transistors for the slip printer, one of
them is feels hot.

me

"Seventh Prince" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

ahhhm, new motherboard & printer?

七少爷Seventh Prince

ahhhm, new motherboard & printer?

Nopes. Am using the existing motheboard and printer. But before
initiating repairs, I have tried with new prnter and new cable
connector. Same result: "no printer installed". During Some stages of
the repair, I have tried with the new printer and cables, and same
result also: "no printer installed".

Ken Weitzel

Sue D Nim wrote:

If hooked up w/ standard serial cable, you may need a null modem between the
computer and the printer.

"七少爷Seventh Prince" wrote in message

ahhhm, new motherboard & printer?

Nopes. Am using the existing motheboard and printer. But before
initiating repairs, I have tried with new prnter and new cable
connector. Same result: "no printer installed". During Some stages of
the repair, I have tried with the new printer and cables, and same
result also: "no printer installed".

Hi...

Just a coupla thoughts...

Is the serial port enabled in bios? If so, is the right
type chosen? The correct IRQ?

And those silly D connectors, if pushed together carelessly
can result in one (or more) pins being bent down. Checked
for that possibility?

Take care.

Ken

Electronic Components for sale [email protected] Electronics 0 March 8th 05 09:39 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Help with electric guitar pots problems? mark Electronics Repair 12 November 24th 04 10:26 AM
Do you have Past Woodpeck Weekly Special Email? Jeremy Woodworking 2 August 8th 04 03:24 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM