JM

Default Adjusted focus, do I need to lock pots?

I've been able to improve the focus on my Sony CPD-G520 by carefully
adjusting the pots on (what I think is) the flyback. I can get the picture
quite nice and sharp, but it always seems to be off a little bit the next
day. I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two
adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting... or if
there's another problem that's causing the focus to be inconsistent.

Any thoughts?

James Sweet

"JM" wrote in message
I've been able to improve the focus on my Sony CPD-G520 by carefully
adjusting the pots on (what I think is) the flyback. I can get the

picture
quite nice and sharp, but it always seems to be off a little bit the next
day. I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two
adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting... or if
there's another problem that's causing the focus to be inconsistent.

Any thoughts?

There's another problem causing it to drift, it can be a bad flyback, a
problem with the tube, or some other problem.

Baz

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"JM" wrote in message
I've been able to improve the focus on my Sony CPD-G520 by carefully
adjusting the pots on (what I think is) the flyback. I can get the

picture
quite nice and sharp, but it always seems to be off a little bit the

next
day. I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two
adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting... or if
there's another problem that's causing the focus to be inconsistent.

Any thoughts?

There's another problem causing it to drift, it can be a bad flyback, a
problem with the tube, or some other problem.

James is probably right, but I'd lock it anyway (e.g. use nail polish
lacquer), it won't hurt and would provide a definite answer your question.

Barry

kip

Yes you better glue them down they have been known
especially late at night to turn themselves,they do that kind of thing.

Most probably the CRT is failing.

I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two
adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting...

JANA

It is a common problem that the HV multiplier on the flyback assembly
becomes defective, and starts to drift. The CRT is also another common
problem in these monitors. Replacing the flyback assembly is the lowest cost
approach, if it is only this assembly that is failing.

Your problem is not that the controls are moving. Something is drifting in
specifications.

It is normal in many of these monitors that after about 4 to 6 years they
start to fail. Repairs are generally expensive in relation to the
replacement cost.

As for locking the controls, a little dab of nail polish should do the
trick.

--

JANA
_____

"JM" wrote in message
I've been able to improve the focus on my Sony CPD-G520 by carefully
adjusting the pots on (what I think is) the flyback. I can get the picture
quite nice and sharp, but it always seems to be off a little bit the next
day. I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two
adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting... or if
there's another problem that's causing the focus to be inconsistent.

Any thoughts?

Ken Weitzel

kip wrote:
Yes you better glue them down they have been known
especially late at night to turn themselves,they do that kind of thing.

Hi...

Kidding aside, in the "olden" days, I used to often put
a tiny dab of plain old nail polish on a control. Just a
dot of it, covering a bit of the shaft...

This sort of locked it in place, yet was easily enough
cracked if need be. And if it was inadvertantly moved, it
was easy enough to put back precisely where it was by
matching up the cracked sections of paint.

Take care.

Ken