Default Panasonic cordless telephone - battery problem?

Hi there!

I was hoping that someone could help me with a problem I'm having.

2 years ago I purchased a Panasonic KX-TG2650CN cordless telephone for
my father. He decided not to start using it until last week when his
old cordless finally died. The battery was already installed in the
handset, so it had been in there for at least 2 years (if not longer).

He allowed the unit to charge 8 hours, and when the green light came on
(indicating complete charge), he took it off the handset, and made a
phone call. When he was done, the handset shut off as if there was no
power. He then charged it again, and the same thing occured.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't matter whether the phone call
is 5 minutes or 4 hours; as soon as he makes one call and hangs up, the
phone dies.

He went out and purchased a replacement Panasonic battery (indentical
model #) and he is still having the same problem.

I was wondering; what could be the problem? Has this phone always been
defective, or was it caused by the fact that the battery was left
installed for so many years?

Thanks in advance!
Scoobadivr

NSM

wrote in message
ups.com...

I was wondering; what could be the problem? Has this phone always been
defective

That's my guess.

or was it caused by the fact that the battery was left
installed for so many years?

As long as it wasn't ever charged it should have been fine. Try charging it
for 24 hours before using it again.

Rono

These phones have a big battery/charging problem. We have three
at or shop, charge them for fifteen hours, & run them till they run right
down, otherwise they won't last very long at all!! have a look here at
the reviews. You can "very carefully" put a load accross the battery
pack, to "run it down", then charge it for fifteen hours, but you must let
it run right down. Rono.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_KX...-20604770.html

Rono wrote:
You can "very carefully" put a load accross the battery
pack, to "run it down", then charge it for fifteen hours, but you must let
it run right down. Rono.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_KX...-20604770.html

How do I do put a load across the battery to run it down?

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rono wrote:
You can "very carefully" put a load accross the battery
pack, to "run it down", then charge it for fifteen hours, but you must

let
it run right down. Rono.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_KX...-20604770.html

How do I do put a load across the battery to run it down?

If you don't know, don't try.

jakdedert

"NSM" wrote in message news:koeBe.89151$wr.56283@clgrps12...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rono wrote:
You can "very carefully" put a load accross the battery
pack, to "run it down", then charge it for fifteen hours, but you must

let
it run right down. Rono.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_KX...-20604770.html

How do I do put a load across the battery to run it down?

If you don't know, don't try.

Bullhockie!

Simply unplug the phone from the telephone jack and turn it on. Leave it
that way until the light goes out, then recharge. You might want to repeat
this a couple of times...or you might want to simply get a new battery and
try that. They're not 'that' expensive.

jak

NSM

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Bullhockie!

Simply unplug the phone from the telephone jack and turn it on. Leave it
that way until the light goes out, then recharge. You might want to

repeat
this a couple of times...or you might want to simply get a new battery and
try that. They're not 'that' expensive.

Balderdash! That isn't "very carefully putting a load across the battery
pack".

jakdedert

"NSM" wrote in message

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Bullhockie!

Simply unplug the phone from the telephone jack and turn it on. Leave

it
that way until the light goes out, then recharge. You might want to

repeat
this a couple of times...or you might want to simply get a new battery

and
try that. They're not 'that' expensive.

Balderdash! That isn't "very carefully putting a load across the battery
pack".

Just 'how' carefully must one put a load across the battery? The original
advice was to not do it at all, unless one had some arcane technical
know-how, implying that it was dangerous. I merely pointed out that it was
not all that difficult, and not dangerous at all, if done as outlined.

Someone *emailed* me to say that it might not be possible to do as I
detailed. To that person: I've not seen a phone which will hang up on its
own, as postulated. Perhaps there are some out there. In any case, please
limit your replies to this forum. It's bad form to email a reply.

jak