root

Default Panasonic DMR-E50 problem: "recover"

I am hoping this problem sounds familiar:

On the Panasonic DVD recorder model E50 I have
been getting frequent aborts when trying to record
to a new DVD. I am using Ritek blanks which have
proved to be reliable when written to by a computer.

The problem is that a timer record aborts with the
message: "recovering", and thereafter the machine
shuts down. I can power back up, open the disk
drawer, and restart the recording at the cost
of losing a minute or so of the program.
Jerry G.

I have a feeling that the drive is failing. The laser may be going a bit
weak, and is overheating a little, because the feedback bias drive to it may
be increased to try and compensate. After the laser's internal substrate
temperature goes too high, it will not be able to burn the data in to the
disk. An error is read back, and the software tries to do a recover of it.
Since it cannot recover what was supposed to be written, it will abort with
this error. For playback the laser is probably working well. During the
playback the laser works at a much lower power.

It is also possible to have some software fault conditions that may cause
this type of thing, but since the drive is working when it first starts up,
I would think that the drive itself is having a fault condition.

This should be properly checked. The best test is to try a new drive. See
if your dealer will lend you a drive to try. There is no repair support for
these drives. Service on these would not be cost effective.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"root" wrote in message
I am hoping this problem sounds familiar:

On the Panasonic DVD recorder model E50 I have
been getting frequent aborts when trying to record
to a new DVD. I am using Ritek blanks which have
proved to be reliable when written to by a computer.

The problem is that a timer record aborts with the
message: "recovering", and thereafter the machine
shuts down. I can power back up, open the disk
drawer, and restart the recording at the cost
of losing a minute or so of the program.

I Love Hot Rods

I just saw something about this in another discuss group & more than one
person said to use a different brand disk which solves the problem you
are having.