Default What is it, no one seems to know how to read a newsgroup or do a search?

Doesn't anyone even bother to read some of the recent postings or do a
Google Groups search before asking the same question?

This happens ALL the time. Take the recent Sony low volume sound
issue. There has been a thread going for a couple of days with all the
information for the common problem, and someone posts the exact same
question for an almost identical model number today. A quick Google
search for "Sony low volume" brings up lots of hits as well.

Either people are too dumb or lazy to read recent posting, or they
simply do not know how to use a computer search engine. I am not sure
I would want anyone trying to fix a tv set that cannot figure out how
to read or use a search engine. It does take some basic minimal
technical skill to use a search engine, far less than actually working
on a tv set.

dig154

.... and it will continue to happen all the time. Not a damn thing you can do
about it.

wrote in message
ps.com...

This happens ALL the time.

kip

Because they are to ****in Lazy and Stupid..
Not to mention not knowing how to use the search routine.
Yea My Fire Suits on...Go for it..
kip

wrote in message
ps.com...
Doesn't anyone even bother to read some of the recent postings or do a
Google Groups search before asking the same question?

This happens ALL the time. Take the recent Sony low volume sound
issue. There has been a thread going for a couple of days with all the
information for the common problem, and someone posts the exact same
question for an almost identical model number today. A quick Google
search for "Sony low volume" brings up lots of hits as well.

Either people are too dumb or lazy to read recent posting, or they
simply do not know how to use a computer search engine. I am not sure
I would want anyone trying to fix a tv set that cannot figure out how
to read or use a search engine. It does take some basic minimal
technical skill to use a search engine, far less than actually working
on a tv set.

Do Little2

"kip" wrote in message
.. .

Yea My Fire Suits on...Go for it..
kip

Ok... is it a professionally colored Orange Asbestos Suit ?

Tom MacIntyre

On 4 Jul 2005 10:51:37 -0700, wrote:

Doesn't anyone even bother to read some of the recent postings or do a
Google Groups search before asking the same question?

This happens ALL the time. Take the recent Sony low volume sound
issue. There has been a thread going for a couple of days with all the
information for the common problem, and someone posts the exact same
question for an almost identical model number today. A quick Google
search for "Sony low volume" brings up lots of hits as well.

Either people are too dumb or lazy to read recent posting, or they
simply do not know how to use a computer search engine. I am not sure
I would want anyone trying to fix a tv set that cannot figure out how
to read or use a search engine. It does take some basic minimal
technical skill to use a search engine, far less than actually working
on a tv set.

I also would suggest that, especially in this stressed day-and-age,
people have insufficient time on their hands to do much research. I
have been forced time and time again to post before Googling...no time
to wait, son's baseball game in 15 minutes, check back later quickly
for an answer. Dumb may be a bit strong too; I, for example, wasn't
born knowing about Search Engines (obviously, having been born in
1956). I did learn about how to use them, am almost 49, and have seen
people successfully learn this stuff in their 70's. :-)

It really wouldn't hurt anyone either new to computers, or who don't
feel they are as adept as they should be, to take a course in PC's and
the Internet. The Internet is a huge library, but it doesn't use the
Dewey Decimal Classification System that some of us middle-age and
older folks are much more familiar with. :-)

Tom

Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:23:39 -0500, dig154 wrote:
... and it will continue to happen all the time. Not a damn thing you can do
about it.

wrote in message
ps.com...

This happens ALL the time.

Yep. _That_ , and top-posting.
NSM

"kip" wrote in message
.. .

Because they are to ****in Lazy and Stupid..
Not to mention not knowing how to use the search routine.
Yea My Fire Suits on...Go for it..

Is it urine proof?

CRaSH

Damn straight!!!!!!!!

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:23:39 -0500, dig154 wrote:
... and it will continue to happen all the time. Not a damn thing
you can do about it.

wrote in message
ps.com...

This happens ALL the time.

Yep. _That_ , and top-posting.

sofie

Allodoxaphobia:
Save your top posting editorial for a different newsgroup..... if you have
not noticed yet, more than half of the long time regulars on this group top
post in a very appropriate way.
Back in the early days of user groups and early newsreaders your argument
would have been more accepted but if done properly, top posting is much
easier to deal with when working with many threads. Bottom posting works
OK as long as the previous thread material is snipped or eliminated and is
not miles long.
To coin a politically correct phrase these days..... be more tolerant.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
news:slrndcjer0.rkb.bit- This happens ALL the time.

Yep. _That_ , and top-posting.

mike

Doesn't anyone even bother to read some of the recent postings or do a
Google Groups search before asking the same question?

This happens ALL the time. Take the recent Sony low volume sound
issue. There has been a thread going for a couple of days with all the
information for the common problem, and someone posts the exact same
question for an almost identical model number today. A quick Google
search for "Sony low volume" brings up lots of hits as well.

Either people are too dumb or lazy to read recent posting, or they
simply do not know how to use a computer search engine. I am not sure
I would want anyone trying to fix a tv set that cannot figure out how
to read or use a search engine. It does take some basic minimal
technical skill to use a search engine, far less than actually working
on a tv set.

Certainly, laziness plays a part, but there are other issues.
One is the ability to conjure up the correct keywords to search.
In many cases, I've found that the terms I use to describe the problem
are different from the terms used by the person who solved it.
If you don't search for the right keywords, you don't find the info.

Then there's the sheer volume of irrelevant data to wade through.
My classic example is to try to find information on a zip drive.
If your primary keyword matches a zillion other things, you'll get
a zillion hits. And if it ain't in the first half a zillion, you
probably won't find it. I typically have to search thru a few hundred
hits to find relevant information. It's all in the keywords...assuming
they're unique...which they probably aren't. And this doesn't even
account for people who put a thousand irrelevant keywords in their
pornsite just to get more traffic.

I see a lot of RTFM bitches in the linux groups. Yes, the answer is in
the FM...but if you don't know enough to find the correct manpage or
interpret it or know about all the other little gotchas that "everybody
knows".

I'm getting off topic, but manuals and helpfiles are typically written
by people who know too much about the subject. They make unconscious
decisions based on what they know. This leads to small, but serious
omissions that may make it very difficult for the newbie to understand
the WHOLE problem/solution.

So, when someone asks the question for the hundredth time, and I know
the answer, I just tell 'em. And I add information about relevant
stuff that they may not have considered in approaching their problem.

It's a lot easier for me and a lot more useful to them than for me to
bitch at 'em.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/