larry moe 'n curly

Default How to solder PLCC socket with surface mount contacts?

I want to put my motherboard 32-pin PLCC BIOS chips into sockets so I
can hot flash them if they somehow get erased, as many of them have,
but how cam I solder those sockets to the circuit board without special
equipment? It seems that their surface mount contacts are inside the
perimeter.

Tom MacIntyre

On 3 Jul 2005 00:30:21 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

I want to put my motherboard 32-pin PLCC BIOS chips into sockets so I
can hot flash them if they somehow get erased, as many of them have,
but how cam I solder those sockets to the circuit board without special
equipment? It seems that their surface mount contacts are inside the
perimeter.

Simply, you probably can't. The board is likely multi-layered.

Tom
Inty

"Tom MacIntyre" ha scritto nel messaggio

Static electricity...power surge? Chernobyl virus, before the
jumpering practice began, I think...

I use the "hot-flashing" consisting in removing the bad programmed chip,
insert it in a working mobo, removing the flash from the working, inserting
the bad programmed chip, and flash it, from dos using uniflash !

I.

larry moe 'n curly

wrote:

I want to put my motherboard 32-pin PLCC BIOS chips into
sockets so I can hot flash them if they somehow get
erased, as many of them have, but how cam I solder those
sockets to the circuit board without special equipment?
It seems that their surface mount contacts are inside the
perimeter.

Simply, you probably can't. The board is likely multi-layered.

But the surface mount socket mounts on the surface, doesn't it? I
already unsoldered the BIOS chip (solder wick and a double-edge razor)
and can see all the solder pads.

larry moe 'n curly

Tom MacIntyre wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:52:07 -0700, Dr. Anton Squeegee
wrote:

How is it that you came to believe E2PROMs can "somehow get erased?" As I
recall, most modern motherboard with FLASH update capability require that a
hardware jumper be manually set before they will allow any writing to the chips.

Static electricity...power surge? Chernobyl virus, before the
jumpering practice began, I think...

I'm sure the erasure was caused by NEC's Windows-based flash program
for their ND-2500A DVD writer because when I ran UniFlash to hot flash
the mobo BIOS chip, I had the chip's contents written to a file, and
that file looks like the NEC DVD writer's BIOS. The DVD writer did get
updated though.

larry moe 'n curly

Inty wrote:
"Tom MacIntyre" ha scritto nel messaggio

I use the "hot-flashing" consisting in removing the bad programmed chip,
insert it in a working mobo, removing the flash from the working, inserting
the bad programmed chip, and flash it, from dos using uniflash !

Uniflash was a lifesaver for me because Award/Phoenix's flash program
refused to let me flash the "wrong" BIOS.

Inty

"larry moe 'n curly" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

I'm sure the erasure was caused by NEC's Windows-based flash program
for their ND-2500A DVD writer because when I ran UniFlash to hot flash
the mobo BIOS chip, I had the chip's contents written to a file, and
that file looks like the NEC DVD writer's BIOS. The DVD writer did get
updated though.

Why did you flash any bios via Windows ? Why didn't you flash via a boot
disk with DOS, UNIFLASH and the relative .BIN fiel ?

I.

larry moe 'n curly

Inty wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" ha scritto nel
messaggio
oups.com...

I'm sure the erasure was caused by NEC's Windows-based flash program
for their ND-2500A DVD writer because when I ran UniFlash to hot flash
the mobo BIOS chip, I had the chip's contents written to a file, and
that file looks like the NEC DVD writer's BIOS. The DVD writer did get
updated though.

Why did you flash any bios via Windows ? Why didn't you flash
via a boot disk with DOS, UNIFLASH and the relative .BIN fiel ?

I was trying to flash the DVD writer's BIOS, not the motherboard's, and
the drive's maker, NEC, provided a Windows-based flasher program that
somehow managed to write the motherboard's BIOS as well. I later
learned that they have DOS-based flasher.