Default Washing machine problem...help would be appreciated!

My 12 year old Maytag (Model LAT8034AAE) just stopped working. It
filled with water and then stopped. The timer does not advance but the
light comes on. I replaced the timer less than a year ago (different
symptom then).

So, it is full of water, and no matter what I do it will not turn on
although the light does stay on even when the lid is in the upright
position.

Any idea what it might be?

Could it be that the switch died in mid-action? Again, it did know to
fill with water before it stopped.

Thanks!

NSM

wrote in message
ups.com...

My 12 year old Maytag (Model LAT8034AAE) just stopped working. It
filled with water and then stopped. The timer does not advance but the
light comes on. I replaced the timer less than a year ago (different
symptom then).

So, it is full of water, and no matter what I do it will not turn on
although the light does stay on even when the lid is in the upright
position.

If it stopped filling the level switch is probably OK. I'd still be looking
at the timer.

Thanks for the reply.

When I said switch I was thinking lid switch, not the level switch as
someone on another forum reported a similar problem to mine that ended
up being the lid switch.

I just took the thing apart, and the fuse is OK, but the lid switch
could be bad I THINK!

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the reply.

When I said switch I was thinking lid switch, not the level switch as
someone on another forum reported a similar problem to mine that ended
up being the lid switch.

I just took the thing apart, and the fuse is OK, but the lid switch
could be bad I THINK!

Could be. Something is stopping the timer from proceeding on.

Rheilly Phoull

One day NSM got dressed and committed to text

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the reply.

When I said switch I was thinking lid switch, not the level switch as
someone on another forum reported a similar problem to mine that
ended up being the lid switch.

I just took the thing apart, and the fuse is OK, but the lid switch
could be bad I THINK!

Could be. Something is stopping the timer from proceeding on.

Hmmm, a lot of washers dont use the lid interlock during the 'fill' cycle
only during 'spin'. I second the timer.

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Ron(UK)

Rheilly Phoull wrote:
One day NSM got dressed and committed to text

wrote in message
groups.com...

Thanks for the reply.

When I said switch I was thinking lid switch, not the level switch as
someone on another forum reported a similar problem to mine that
ended up being the lid switch.

I just took the thing apart, and the fuse is OK, but the lid switch
could be bad I THINK!

Could be. Something is stopping the timer from proceeding on.

Hmmm, a lot of washers dont use the lid interlock during the 'fill' cycle
only during 'spin'. I second the timer.

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Heating element o/c?

Ron

--

www.lunevalleyaudio.com

I did a little digging, and it seems that a Maytag will fill up with a
bad lid switch and not operate once filled. This SEEMED to support the
lid switch issue.

I guess it could be the timer, but at less than a year old surely it
wouldn't have broken down already would it?

Before, when I replaced the timer, I could get some action out of it
from time to time as it kind of died gradually. This problem happened
in an instant...not like a wearing down of something, but rather a
break.

Of course, maybe it is just me not wanting to fork over another $100
for a timer (robbery I know, but that is the price) when the entire
switch mechanism is around $25 (still robbery, but not as hard on my
wallet).

NSM

"Rheilly Phoull" wrote in message

Hmmm, a lot of washers dont use the lid interlock during the 'fill' cycle
only during 'spin'. I second the timer.

Mine won't wash if the lid is up ...

NSM

wrote in message
ups.com...

Before, when I replaced the timer, I could get some action out of it
from time to time as it kind of died gradually. This problem happened
in an instant...not like a wearing down of something, but rather a
break.

In the old days when I had more time I was known to crack those open and
repair the insides!

spudnuty

I had 2 Maytags do exactly this twice.
The first time some stepped on the top of the lid and deformed it
slightly so that the plunger wouldn't activate the lid switch. As above
these will fill with the lid switch open. Activating the lid switch
with a piece of rod started the agitation. Repaired the deformed lid.
The second one the switch just went bad. (Micro type as I remember).
Jumpered the leads and the washer worked until I installed a
replacement.

jbclem

I've fixed my Sears washing machine many times and I think bad timers are just one of
many possibilities, and not the most common. I just had the exact same problem you
describe and it was the belt that chose to break right at that moment when the machine
was filled with water. To do any investigation you really need to drain the water out
so you can turn the machine around or on it's side and look at the mechanisn. It's easy
to spot a broken belt because the motor be spinning but nothing else will turn. I'm not
familiar with the Maytag, but one easy way to drain the washer is to pull the hose off
of the water pump and just let the water flow. If you can't do that because your
machine is inside the house, try pumping the water out with a small garden pump.

For my Sears washer I have a really good repair manual put out by Sears. Perhaps Maytag
has something similiar.

John

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 12 year old Maytag (Model LAT8034AAE) just stopped working. It
filled with water and then stopped. The timer does not advance but the
light comes on. I replaced the timer less than a year ago (different
symptom then).

So, it is full of water, and no matter what I do it will not turn on
although the light does stay on even when the lid is in the upright
position.

Any idea what it might be?

Could it be that the switch died in mid-action? Again, it did know to
fill with water before it stopped.

Thanks!

jbclem

Forgot to mention that there are some great websites, usually hosted by companies that
sell repair parts, where you can get troubleshooting information, schematics, and ask
questions that will usually be answered by professional repairmen. Here are some:
http://www.acmehowto.com
http://www.repairclinic.com
www.doityourself.com

John