jbclem

I've fixed my Sears washing machine many times and I think bad timers are just one of
many possibilities, and not the most common. I just had the exact same problem you
describe and it was the belt that chose to break right at that moment when the machine
was filled with water. To do any investigation you really need to drain the water out
so you can turn the machine around or on it's side and look at the mechanisn. It's easy
to spot a broken belt because the motor be spinning but nothing else will turn. I'm not
familiar with the Maytag, but one easy way to drain the washer is to pull the hose off
of the water pump and just let the water flow. If you can't do that because your
machine is inside the house, try pumping the water out with a small garden pump.

For my Sears washer I have a really good repair manual put out by Sears. Perhaps Maytag
has something similiar.

John

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 12 year old Maytag (Model LAT8034AAE) just stopped working. It
filled with water and then stopped. The timer does not advance but the
light comes on. I replaced the timer less than a year ago (different
symptom then).

So, it is full of water, and no matter what I do it will not turn on
although the light does stay on even when the lid is in the upright
position.

Any idea what it might be?

Could it be that the switch died in mid-action? Again, it did know to
fill with water before it stopped.

Thanks!