Default Switch won't turn of Outlet

I recently replaced a switch(interupter) and a duplex
outlet(receptacle) in my home. The switch had the ability to turn
on/off power to the top outlet on the duplex receptacle. After
replacing the switch and the receptacle I get no response from the
switch. Both the top and bottom outlets on the receptacle have power,
but I can no longer turn off the power to the top outlet of the duplex
receptacle. I'm using Levition Decora products and have confirmed by
looking at the old switch and recpetacle that I have bought the proper
replacements. I've included a link to a diagram I drew of my current
wire setup, can anyone give me some insight into why the switch doesn't
work?

Here is the link:
http://www.strangemedia.net/receptacle.gif

P.S - Before replacing anything I wrote down the placement of all the
wires and I don't believe the wires are connected incorrectly.

Ken Weitzel

[...]

Hi...

Outlets are supplied with jumpers that connect both sides
together (so that one pair of wires can operate both outlets)

In your case I imagine you didn't. Take a look at the
sides where the screws are, and betcha you'll find tabs
connecting them.

Use a pair of pliers to break them away.

Naturally turn off the breaker or possibly two breakers
first.

Ken

Yes, those of you that told me that I probably didn't break the link on
the hot side are correct! And yes I make sure to to turn off all
breakers powering the room before working on the receptacle. Folks, I
hope there is some science a neat way to break the connection on the
hot side(red, black side in my case...also the brass screw side). I'm
going to do some research about breaking this link before I do it. But
if anyone has any experience breaking the link on a standard duplex
Leviton receptacle I would love some pointers. I updated my diagram to
illustrate what I believe you all recommend I do.

http://www.strangemedia.net/receptacle.gif

DaveM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, those of you that told me that I probably didn't break the link on
the hot side are correct! And yes I make sure to to turn off all
breakers powering the room before working on the receptacle. Folks, I
hope there is some science a neat way to break the connection on the
hot side(red, black side in my case...also the brass screw side). I'm
going to do some research about breaking this link before I do it. But
if anyone has any experience breaking the link on a standard duplex
Leviton receptacle I would love some pointers. I updated my diagram to
illustrate what I believe you all recommend I do.

http://www.strangemedia.net/receptacle.gif

Get a pair of wire cutters. Clip the link at each end so that there's no
danger of the ends touching again. Reassemble.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

Sam Goldwasser

"DaveM" writes:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, those of you that told me that I probably didn't break the link on
the hot side are correct! And yes I make sure to to turn off all
breakers powering the room before working on the receptacle. Folks, I
hope there is some science a neat way to break the connection on the
hot side(red, black side in my case...also the brass screw side). I'm
going to do some research about breaking this link before I do it. But
if anyone has any experience breaking the link on a standard duplex
Leviton receptacle I would love some pointers. I updated my diagram to
illustrate what I believe you all recommend I do.

http://www.strangemedia.net/receptacle.gif

Get a pair of wire cutters. Clip the link at each end so that there's no
danger of the ends touching again. Reassemble.

Usually, you can just bend the link back and forth a couple of times and
it will come off in its entirety.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

robert casey

Get a pair of wire cutters. Clip the link at each end so that there's no
danger of the ends touching again. Reassemble.

Usually, you can just bend the link back and forth a couple of times and
it will come off in its entirety.

It's designed to break off after a few bendings with a pair of
bigger needle nose pliers. Only do the hot side, leave the
link on the neutral side alone.

Thanks guys, I practiced on a few of the receptacles that I've replaced
and your right when you say a few back and fourth motions with the
needle nose pliers causea a very clean break(snap!). Tomorrow when I
get home from work and can use some natural light I will turn of the
breaker and go to surgery on teh receptacle. I'll make sure to just
break the hot side. Thanks for all your help!

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, those of you that told me that I probably didn't break the link on
the hot side are correct! And yes I make sure to to turn off all
breakers powering the room before working on the receptacle. Folks, I
hope there is some science a neat way to break the connection on the
hot side(red, black side in my case...also the brass screw side). I'm
going to do some research about breaking this link before I do it. But
if anyone has any experience breaking the link on a standard duplex
Leviton receptacle I would love some pointers. I updated my diagram to
illustrate what I believe you all recommend I do.

http://www.strangemedia.net/receptacle.gif

You just grab it with a pair of pliars and flex it until it breaks off,
there's no real trick to it.

You are lucky. One that both circuits are fed from the same "side" of
the 220, and two, that the switch didn't paralell two circuits thus
possibly rendering your circuit breaker ineffective.

JURB