James Nyman

Default MicroTemps

I have had several coffee makers burn out due to the microtemp. Is this
because they put under-rated ones in order to sell more coffee makers? I
wonder if it would be safe to replace it with one with a little higher temp.
rating? Any one have any experience with this problem? Also I am sure you
can't solder the new one in, but would a crimping type connector work?

Thanks, Jim = nyman at verizon.net

sofie

James Nyman:
NO, NO, NO..... it is never safe or the right thing to do to replace a
thermal cutout
with one that is rated higher in temperature or a fuse with one that is
rated higher in amps.
......and NO, they do not put in under-rated ones in order to sell more
coffee makers.
This is a FIRE and SAFETY issue..... and even though you think they put in
under-rated thermal cut-outs just read the news occasionally..... coffee
makers are frequently being recalled because they catch on fire.
Be careful, be smart.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Thanks, Jim = nyman at verizon.net

NSM

"James Nyman" wrote in message

I have had several coffee makers burn out due to the microtemp. Is this
because they put under-rated ones in order to sell more coffee makers?

No, it's because everything is crap now - even the expensive stuff.

I wonder if it would be safe to replace it with one with a little higher

temp.
rating? Any one have any experience with this problem? Also I am sure you
can't solder the new one in, but would a crimping type connector work?

Not the worst thing to do in an emergency but not a 'fix' for the problem.
As for solder, if the plate is hot enough to melt solder the coffee tastes
like road tar.

Thanks, Jim = nyman at verizon.net

It's not that the protector is too low, it's that the coffee makers run too
hot. Are they thermostatically controlled?