Junior Member

Default pioneer SD-P5065 stays on for 20 sec

my household voltage is 120-125.....If I disconnect the picture tubes it will stay on. ....I disconnected it from the thing that looks like a ignition coil. Makes a nice spark when you discharge it to chasis....anyway...something is making a humming noise before it shuts off and the only way to get it to come back on is to unplug it then plug it back in. does anyone have any suggestions to what it might be and how much it should cost to repair...Im trying to to get ripped off when I get it repaired...or maybe get the parts and do it myself...

thanks
kip

You said ...
Im trying to to get ripped off when I get it repaired.

Well if that's the case call a Jack of all trades in ,Iam sure he can
accommodate you.

Call A Tech in and get an estimate to repair....

kip

--
bordom

Leonard Caillouet

The rip-off on repairing Pioneer sets is usually from Pioneer, not the local
tech. The service manual for your set is likely about $90 and circuit
boards are rather expensive. Take it to someone who does a lot of Pioneer
and repairs the sets at the component level rather than just swapping
boards, when possible. Be a smart consumer and get to know the techs and
understand how they do business and find one that is reputable, communicates
what he will be doing and how the charges will be applied, and sounds like
he knows what he is doing.

Your problem could be anything from a bad solder connection (or more likely
a few hundred of them in a Pioneer of this vintage) to a few bad capacitors,
to a shorted CRT. If you are not familiar with these sets I would recommend
that you not try to fix it yourself.

Leonard