Karl

Default Can't find replacement speaker for radio

I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio with a bad speaker. RS National
Parts no longer carries that speaker, and I cannot find anything on the
Internet that seems to fit the specs. It is a ROUND, 3-inch, 8-ohm, 3-watt
speaker. Has to be round, square won't fit. Does anyone know where I might
find a speaker with those specs? One with with a slightly higher wattage
rating and/or slightly lower ohms rating might work. I found a post stating
that the speaker from a certain Sony shortwave receiver would fit, but Sony
wants $20 for it plus shipping (not tonight, Sony, I have a headach!).

Fred McKenzie

In article 1aJie.45455$yV4.33488@okepread03, "Karl" wrote:

I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio with a bad speaker. RS National
Parts no longer carries that speaker, and I cannot find anything on the
Internet that seems to fit the specs. It is a ROUND, 3-inch, 8-ohm, 3-watt
speaker. Has to be round, square won't fit. Does anyone know where I might
find a speaker with those specs? One with with a slightly higher wattage
rating and/or slightly lower ohms rating might work. I found a post stating
that the speaker from a certain Sony shortwave receiver would fit, but Sony
wants $20 for it plus shipping (not tonight, Sony, I have a headach!).

Karl-

I suggest you research the DX-398 and find who made it, and what their
equivalent model is. They would be a possible source of a replacement
speaker.

Several years ago I had the opposite problem, a bad speaker in a Sangean
ATS-803A. I was able to obtain a replacement for the Radio Shack DX-440.

Fred
Karl

As I stated, I have been looking, unsuccessfully. All round 3 inch speakers
I have found are 1 watt or less. Also I live in a Mickey-Mouse community
with with only one poorly-stocked electronic parts store. And Radio Shack no
longer carries replacement speakers of any kind. I assume they'll be phasing
out all parts eventually.

.. .

"Karl" wrote in message
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio with a bad speaker. RS
National
Parts no longer carries that speaker, and I cannot find anything on the
Internet that seems to fit the specs. It is a ROUND, 3-inch, 8-ohm,
3-watt
speaker. Has to be round, square won't fit. Does anyone know where I
might
find a speaker with those specs? One with with a slightly higher wattage
rating and/or slightly lower ohms rating might work. I found a post
stating
that the speaker from a certain Sony shortwave receiver would fit, but
Sony
wants $20 for it plus shipping (not tonight, Sony, I have a headach!).

Karl

The DX-398 is the same as the Sangean ATS-909, but I can't find any parts
source for that, either.
Nothing about parts on the Sangean site - I wrote them a note.

Meanwhile I went ahead and ordered one of those 1-watt speakers, maybe it
will suffice.

Thanks for the replies.

wrote:

[...]

NSM

"Karl" wrote in message
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio with a bad speaker. RS

National
Parts no longer carries that speaker, and I cannot find anything on the
Internet that seems to fit the specs. It is a ROUND, 3-inch, 8-ohm, 3-watt
speaker. Has to be round, square won't fit. Does anyone know where I might
find a speaker with those specs? One with with a slightly higher wattage
rating and/or slightly lower ohms rating might work. I found a post

stating
that the speaker from a certain Sony shortwave receiver would fit, but

Sony
wants $20 for it plus shipping (not tonight, Sony, I have a headach!).

http://www.allelectronics.com/

http://www.alltronics.com/

http://www.jameco.com

for starters.

Travis Jordan

Karl wrote:
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio with a bad speaker. RS
National Parts no longer carries that speaker, and I cannot find
anything on the Internet that seems to fit the specs. It is a ROUND,
3-inch, 8-ohm, 3-watt speaker. Has to be round, square won't fit.
Does anyone know where I might find a speaker with those specs?

http://www.loystoys.com/soundtraxx/speakers.html

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:24:13 -0500, "Karl" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave radio with a bad speaker. RS National
Parts no longer carries that speaker, and I cannot find anything on the
Internet that seems to fit the specs. It is a ROUND, 3-inch, 8-ohm, 3-watt
speaker.

In Australia you can get a shielded version (code SP37) for AU$6
(US$4.50):

http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/06_18.pdf

- Franc Zabkar