Default Playstation 2 won't play DVD's

Hello- This PS2 is model SCPH-30001. It is modded, which mod chip I
don't know. It plays audio CD's just fine, but won't play DVD movies. I
cleaned the lens and the mirror and adjusted the DVD pot under the
laser without success. I was told by someone who fixes these units that
a modded Playstation will not play DVD movies. Does anyone know for
sure if this is true ? Thank you

moonlite

nvic

It's true modded PS2s will NOT play DVDs. Some may but most mod chips
prohibit playback because they remove the DVD playback software. Find a
chip that does or remove the mod.

James Sweet

"nvic" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's true modded PS2s will NOT play DVDs. Some may but most mod chips
prohibit playback because they remove the DVD playback software. Find a
chip that does or remove the mod.

Or just get a DVD player, the PS2 never worked very well for that right from
the start.

Messing with the laser power is a bad move. If it's set too high it'll
wear it out in a mattrer of weeks or maybe months if not too too high.

I hope you marked the control and returned it to it's original setting
if no improvement is realized.

JURB

nvic

You have a point, it would be easier. DVD players are cheap i have one
i got for $70! I recommend mintek and sylvania.

nvic wrote:
You have a point, it would be easier. DVD players are cheap i have

one
i got for $70! I recommend mintek and sylvania.

Thank you very much for these useful replies ! After further
examination it turned out this unit won't play PS2 games also, in
addition to DVD movies. It only plays audio CD's and PS one games.
Would a mod chip cause that too ?

moonlite

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...

nvic wrote:
You have a point, it would be easier. DVD players are cheap i have

one
i got for $70! I recommend mintek and sylvania.

Thank you very much for these useful replies ! After further
examination it turned out this unit won't play PS2 games also, in
addition to DVD movies. It only plays audio CD's and PS one games.
Would a mod chip cause that too ?

Not unless it was installed wrong, that would kinda defeat the purpose of a
mod chip.

Was the unit working before it was modified? Or was it working with the mod
chip?

nvic

If the chip was improperly installed, it may. The only real way to
determine if the mod is causing it is to see if you can disable the
chip (holding power or eject down for 10 seconds on some chips) while
others you can't. If you can find how to disable it, do so and try
again with a game and DVD. If it still don't work or you can't disable
the mod chip, remove the mod. What is funny here is it won't read DVDs.
PS1 games are on regular CDs but DVDs and PS2 Games are on a DVD Format
disc. ALso let me know if you want alternitives to a mod chip for
functions like memory card formatting, and playing "fake" PS2 games
(Downloads, DVD-R copies, etc.) This can be done without a modchip
among other chip features. The only thing you biCAN'T/i/B do is
run home-brew apps. ALso is this an original PS2 (big, etc.) or one of
the new skinny ones and did you install the Mod? Hope this helps, post
again with results. nvic

Well, I disconnected the 3v supply to this chip this morning hoping to
completely isolate it. It did not work. Now my Eject button does not
work. I never knew these mod chips can be such a pain, especially if
not installed correctly. Now I'm looking at a new motherboard.

moonlite

nvic

Your Eject button is a loose wire - very common problem. The Optical
drive might be a problem. You probably should change the entire PS2. An
improperly Installed mod, even after its removal, could have damaged
something. Are you running a the regular PS2 OS? You know, booting with
no disc gives you a Browser and System Config Options. IF not, you
didn't disable the mod right. Let me know on question. nvic

moonlite

nvic, thank you very much for your input. Can you please email me
directly:

moonlite

nvic

Can you email me your address please. The mail i sent you was returned.
Send your address to

thanks nvic