Jason D.

Default Playstation 2 laser assembly available from electronic suppliers?

Not the PSX. :-) The playstation 2 does not read any CDs (that means
any CD like DVDs, game CDs, etc. My friend of his son dropped
Playstation 2. Rest of mechine works (responds to gamepad controller,
see menus audio etc except machine spins the cd all day and do
nothing, keeps trying. The transverse stepper works because watched
leadscrew spin laser assembly in and out.

By the way, if somebody says PS2 instead of playstation 2, I assume
this person is talking about the old PS/2 produced by IBM and I happen
to have few.

Have to repair it if I can source a new laser assembly.

Thanks & cheers,

Wizard
LASERandDVDfan

Not the PSX. :-) The playstation 2 does not read any CDs (that means
any CD like DVDs, game CDs, etc. My friend of his son dropped
Playstation 2.

Check the tilt adjustment gear. It is a white gear located on the uppermost
part of the traverse assembly. You'll have to take off the top cover of the
drive, of course.

To the left of this gear is a sheetmetal spring with a notch on the center of
the tip. If this notch is underneath the gear instead of resting within the
gear's teeth, then the tilt adjustment is out of whack.

Reposition the notch on the gear's teeth, then adjust the gear until the notch
is in between two circular marker points on the gear itself. Reassemble and
test. - Reinhart
LASERandDVDfan

Well hidden! Have to move the tray out to see it. By jove, you're
right! This fixed it. The wheel was 2 notches from that 2 circular
marks. I think this should be the original position.

Working great, Thanks!

You're welcome. Glad to have been able to help. Enjoy! - Reinhart