Sam Goldwasser

Dan_Musicant writes:

On 4 May 2005 04:05:22 -0700, "Ignorant genius"
wrote:

:Arthur Shapiro wrote:
: In article , Dan
wrote:
: I just had to post this.
:
: The last time I replaced a disk drive, I couldn't find a means of
pening
: it to grab the magnets. It wasn't Torx, security Torx, allen, or
:anything
: else I had in my reasonably well-equipped set of wrenches. Finally
:conceded
: defeat and discarded it.
:
: Did I have an oddball (don't remember the brand) or was it simply a
:matter of
: me being an idiot and not having a common tool?
:
: Art
:
:
:I had the same problem. Just use some wire cutters to get the screws
:broken loose then they can be removed easily with some strategically
laced explosives. The magnets are great for finding tiny springs in
:the carpet. Did you know that a magnet stops working when it's heated?
:You can stick one to the burner grate and turn on the flame and it will
:fall off. (and never really recovers either) Cheers
avy

That's probably because the magnetic dipoles whose cumlulative magnetic
field give the magnet its net power are able to rearrange position when
the metal gets hot enough. Once their original orientation is lost, they
never regain it when cooled. Never, that is, unless they cool in a
strong magnetic field (which would cause them all to line up parallel
again before the cooling process)!

Search on "Curie Temperature".

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.