Default flyback diagnostics

Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a
multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have 2 P810's
(viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but wanted to
confirm before i strip them down for parts..

Thanks

Stu

I ring flyback,SMPS's xfmers,video heads,yokes and other x-fmrs using
the calibration output of my TEK465 and two 0.1Uf poly caps:

http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/flypoor.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Dec02/Dec021.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Dec02/Dec023.html

and it works great.

HR Diemen of Spain makes top quality flybacks,SMPS transformers and
test equipment which have ISO9001 & maybe ISO9002 certification,they
are now the OEM supplier for Sony who as we all know have poor
flybacks,the proof is on their website,CD ROM and paperback catalogs.
They also have free online specs for each of their products including
schematics.

They manufacture the world's best flyback transformers:

http://www.hrdiemen.com/indexeng.shtml

At the above link you can lookup the winding diagrams and schematics of
it as well.Here is an article that I contributed to NESDA:

http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Oct02/Oct028.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Oct02/Oct029.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Oct04/Oct041.html

HR Diemen SA
Edificio Dimabel 08512
Saint Hipolit de Voltrega Barcelona
Spain
Tel: 34 93 850 23 23
Fax: 34 93 850 24 62

http://www.hrdiemen.es
http://www.flyback.com

Attention:
Martha Bach
Sales Department

In the USA HR Diemen flybacks are available through:

Electronica
2828 E.Colfax Ave
Denver,Co 80206
USA
Ph:1-800-722-5578
Phone303)322-3037
fax303)322-1135
http://www.electronica-usa.org/

or

http://www.mcmelectronics.com

or

PRB Belt Company

now bought by:

Russell Industries Inc
3000 Lawson Blvd
P.O Box 508
Oceanside,New York 11572
USA
http://www.prbline.com
http://russellind.com/downl.htm

Ph:1-800-558-9572 Press # 1(PRB/Russell)
Ph:1-800-645-2202 M-F=9:00-5:30 EST
Attention:
Larry

or

Tritronics
http://www.tritronicsinc.com/lookup_cs.htm

Sidney

Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/May02/May18.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/SonyAudMod.html
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...ge/32-9495.jpg

S wrote:
Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a
multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have 2

P810's
(viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but wanted

confirm before i strip them down for parts..

Thanks

Stu

Cobalt

if the flyback is a TLFA01365, its a high fail flyback. They retail for $65,
but good reliable replacements can be found elsewhere cheaper. Try searching
google for that part number.

"S" wrote in message
| Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a
| multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have 2
P810's
| (viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but wanted to
| confirm before i strip them down for parts..
|
| Thanks
|
| Stu

Yep thats the beastie alright and I've read this sad news many times--just
wanted to confirm for myself I guess--I've also read that proprietary
viewsonic software is needed to calibrate the new flyback--if this is the
case its pretty much landfill fodder (as was viewsonic's intention i'm sure)
Can anyone confirm or deny this? if this is true than a new flyback
wouldn't help me much.

"S" wrote in message
| Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a
| multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have 2
P810's
| (viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but wanted to
| confirm before i strip them down for parts..
|
| Thanks
|
| Stu

Cobalt

there is a tweak to adjust the HV up on the replacement TLFA01365 , if it
winds up being a little low. The TLFA01365 has G2 and focus controls right
on the flyback, and I have not heard anyone needing to tweak the G2 or focus
because of insufficient gain. There are a few SONY flybacks that you have to
tweak nearby components if you dont have their DAS, and theres no way
around it.

if you go he www.kazazz.com (search engine) , type in that part number ,
and go to result #14 (products IIB) you can purchase a replacement online
for $31.99 ea shipped in the USA. Also included are the tech notes with a
purchase on how to tweak the HV.

"S" wrote in message
news:1115062055.60a9307bd11809b30c3c1d00ec28df6c@t eranews...
| Yep thats the beastie alright and I've read this sad news many times--just
| wanted to confirm for myself I guess--I've also read that proprietary
| viewsonic software is needed to calibrate the new flyback--if this is the
| case its pretty much landfill fodder (as was viewsonic's intention i'm
sure)
| Can anyone confirm or deny this? if this is true than a new flyback
| wouldn't help me much.
|

| "Cobalt" wrote in message
| if the flyback is a TLFA01365, its a high fail flyback. They retail for
| $65,
| but good reliable replacements can be found elsewhere cheaper. Try
| searching
| google for that part number.
|

| "S" wrote in message
| | Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a
| | multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have 2
| P810's
| | (viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but wanted
| | confirm before i strip them down for parts..
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Stu
| |
| |
| |
| |

WOW--thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty--I learned more in
that one thread than i have all day

,

"S" wrote in message
news:1115062055.60a9307bd11809b30c3c1d00ec28df6c@t eranews...
| Yep thats the beastie alright and I've read this sad news many

times--just
| wanted to confirm for myself I guess--I've also read that proprietary
| viewsonic software is needed to calibrate the new flyback--if this is

the
| case its pretty much landfill fodder (as was viewsonic's intention i'm
sure)
| Can anyone confirm or deny this? if this is true than a new flyback
| wouldn't help me much.
|

| "Cobalt" wrote in message
| if the flyback is a TLFA01365, its a high fail flyback. They retail

for
| $65,
| but good reliable replacements can be found elsewhere cheaper. Try
| searching
| google for that part number.
|

| "S" wrote in message
| | Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a
| | multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have

2
| P810's
| | (viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but

wanted
| | confirm before i strip them down for parts..
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Stu