Swoop

Default Sony KV-32S22 Remote Problem

hi group,

I have two 32 inch VTEL teleconfering TVs. This is basically a Sony
Trinitron (KV-32S22, made in 1998).
(got this information from the label on the back). The TVs come with
Sony RM-Y135A remote.

The problem is that the remote works only when it is very close to the
TV (6 inches). I bought 2 universal
remotes and had the same problem which leads me to think the problem is
on the TV side.

has anyone come across something like this? Any inputs are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Troubleshoot the remote ir receiver in the tv set.
Odds are they are simply liquid damaged from someone spraying liquid on
the face of the tube to clean in and let some drip down the front of
the set, seen many many times.

Swoop wrote:
hi group,

I have two 32 inch VTEL teleconfering TVs. This is basically a

Sony
Trinitron (KV-32S22, made in 1998).
(got this information from the label on the back). The TVs come

with
Sony RM-Y135A remote.

The problem is that the remote works only when it is very close

to the
TV (6 inches). I bought 2 universal
remotes and had the same problem which leads me to think the

problem is
on the TV side.

has anyone come across something like this? Any inputs are

greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Swoop

Thanks for replying.
I tried cleaning the surface. no luck.
The unit is extremely heavy to take it to a repair shop.
I guess I'll either get a receiver or a VCR and operate the TV
thru it.

oups.com...

Swoop wrote:
hi group,

I have two 32 inch VTEL teleconfering TVs. This is basically a

Sony
Trinitron (KV-32S22, made in 1998).
(got this information from the label on the back). The TVs come

with
Sony RM-Y135A remote.

The problem is that the remote works only when it is very close

to the
TV (6 inches). I bought 2 universal
remotes and had the same problem which leads me to think the

problem is
on the TV side.

has anyone come across something like this? Any inputs are

greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:19 -0500, "Swoop"
wrote:

hi group,

I have two 32 inch VTEL teleconfering TVs. This is basically a Sony
Trinitron (KV-32S22, made in 1998).
(got this information from the label on the back). The TVs come with
Sony RM-Y135A remote.

The problem is that the remote works only when it is very close to the
TV (6 inches). I bought 2 universal
remotes and had the same problem which leads me to think the problem is
on the TV side.

has anyone come across something like this? Any inputs are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

I've seen TVs that were used for custom applications like this where
they intentionally reduced the remote sensitivity. I assume they do
this so that the remote will only control the set it's pointed at,
instead of every TV in the room. It could be as simple as something
blocking the remote sensor.

If you can't find anything, the remote sensor is probably bad.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Swoop

Thanks Andy,

You were right on the spot.
I opened the TV and the remote works great with the unit open.
The prob is with the hole for the IR sensor on the front of the TV.
They are using a thick piece of glass (or some other material ) which
makes the remote work
only when it is very close. There is no way to remove this unless you
don't mind drilling a hole in the front of the TV.
Here is the model of the TV in case someone runs into the same problem
in future.

VTEL Teleconferencing TV by Sony ( KV - 32S22 )

Thanks all.