Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Adrian Brentnall

Default 48 volt uninterruptible power supply

HI All

I wonder if anybody out ther has experience with this piece of kit -
or similar.

This unit has a 2-part black metal case enclosing a battery charger /
invertor PCB, with space for Dryfit battery. Fitted with rubber feet
and keyhole slots for wall-mounting.

Specifications

* Input
88 to 275 VAC, 43 - 63 Hz, 0.6 Amps, single phase
* Output
-48v DC, 35 Watts continuous, stored energy time 6 hours,
ambient temperature -10 to +55 centigrade
* Manufactured by L3 Communications - Model no UPS10B00

The problem I'm experiencing is that, when connected to the mains, the
unit happily charges the dryfit battery, but does not 'invert' (i.e.
produce the 48v) when the mains is disconnected. I'm guessing that the
control circuitry is sensing the mains dropping out (as the 'mains'
led goes out) - but the unit doesn't seem to want to go into 'invert'
mode.

There's a multi-way connector strip on the outside of the case - which
has connections for 48v, plus a number of status connections - but I
have no documentation on these.

Would you expect to have to 'do something' (as in wire links on the
multi-way strip) in order to kick the thing into operation ?

Possible thoughts so far
a) Faulty unit - not likely as units were sold as NOS, and the two
units I have behave in excatly the same way
b) Faulty dryfit battery - don't think so - they hold a charge ok -
and terminal voltage remains around the 12v mark after the mains drops
out
c) User error ( ! ) - in that I need to 'do' something more in order
to 'make it happen'

I will be contcting the manufacturer to see if they can shed any light
on the matter - but I wondered if some kind soul out there might have
'been there, done that' already...?

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply