1

Default jvc hr-s9600

This machine shuts down after a few seconds, it threads in allright but goes
in standby after that.

What could be the cause?

Herm.

John

Faulty mode switch or no take up rotation, does it give an error code or
does it still do it if you instantly put into pause?
John.

JVC Dude

probably the gears on the dynamic drum head tilt assy that has split. you
usually get a knocking noise as the worm tries to turn it.
not available seperately however....

AW

"1" 1@1 wrote in message ...
This machine shuts down after a few seconds, it threads in allright but

goes
in standby after that.

What could be the cause?

Herm.

1

"John" schreef in bericht
news
Faulty mode switch or no take up rotation, does it give an error code or
does it still do it if you instantly put into pause?
John.

It gives no error code, mode switch, well i gues is allright, take up
rotation is also allright, i cant go in pause mode, just switches off.

Herm.

1

"JVC Dude" schreef in bericht
probably the gears on the dynamic drum head tilt assy that has split. you
usually get a knocking noise as the worm tries to turn it.
not available seperately however....

AW

Well, i think thats the prob, but no splitted gears, a slipping worm,
however how can allign this assy??

Herm.

JVC Dude

Theres no explanation in the manuals on how to time these gears.!!! As I
said before you can't buy them... only a complete head assembly which here
in the UK is £150 or so last time I checked.
You can usually remove the motor/worm/pcb safely to check without upsetting
the timing, however its not these gears that usually split, its the 2 drive
gears up into the head assembly with metal shafts.

as to timing these 2 / 4 gears I've no info on that ! just pot luck
really, since its a dynamic system as long as theres enough movement
end-end it should be ok, since its the head 'envelope' that the electronics
look at to check correct alignment.

Upon initial power on, the micro moves the motor/worm/blades back/forward to
check that theres movement. only if this is ok will the unit come out of
standby. Then if you need any other mode than play, ie shuttle /pause
the motor moves again, counting pulses on th e photo interrupter. Since
pause/slow-mo is a different movement to shuttle , whichever damaged gear
jams, that will then cause an error to be detected - and shut down or stop
occurs.

I have a customers machine (9500) sat here, which I need to arrange to
somehow bypass these broken gears with..
(Thinking aloud...)Perhaps if the motor is allowed to spin whilst
disconnected from the gears.....it would not detect an error..... still
picture and shuttle picture wouldn't be perfect but at least record/play
would work....

hope that helps

Andrew

"1" 1@1 wrote in message ...
"JVC Dude" schreef in bericht
probably the gears on the dynamic drum head tilt assy that has split.

you
usually get a knocking noise as the worm tries to turn it.
not available seperately however....

AW

Well, i think thats the prob, but no splitted gears, a slipping worm,
however how can allign this assy??

Herm.

Asimov

"JVC Dude" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Apr 05 09:25:41)
--- on the heady topic of " jvc hr-s9600"

The simplest method to time these is to (with power plug pulled)
remove the basket, then turn the loading mechanism by hand until the
load arms would just stop retracting the tape. This is the STOP
position. Then align all the gears so that the basket can be mounted
in the down position. When the machine is then powered up it should
reset itself to the tape eject position. This method should work in
99% of all machines.

A*s*i*m*o*v

JD From: "JVC Dude"
JD Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:44983

JD Theres no explanation in the manuals on how to time these gears.!!! As
JD I said before you can't buy them... only a complete head assembly which
JD here in the UK is #150 or so last time I checked.
JD You can usually remove the motor/worm/pcb safely to check without
JD upsetting the timing, however its not these gears that usually split,
JD its the 2 drive gears up into the head assembly with metal shafts.

JD as to timing these 2 / 4 gears I've no info on that ! just pot
JD luck really, since its a dynamic system as long as theres enough
JD movement end-end it should be ok, since its the head 'envelope' that
JD the electronics look at to check correct alignment.

JD Upon initial power on, the micro moves the motor/worm/blades
JD back/forward to check that theres movement. only if this is ok will
JD the unit come out of standby. Then if you need any other mode than
JD play, ie shuttle /pause the motor moves again, counting pulses on th
JD e photo interrupter. Since pause/slow-mo is a different movement to
JD shuttle , whichever damaged gear jams, that will then cause an error to
JD be detected - and shut down or stop occurs.

JD I have a customers machine (9500) sat here, which I need to arrange to
JD somehow bypass these broken gears with..
JD (Thinking aloud...)Perhaps if the motor is allowed to spin whilst
JD disconnected from the gears.....it would not detect an error.....
JD still picture and shuttle picture wouldn't be perfect but at least
JD record/play would work....

JD hope that helps

JD Andrew

JD "1" 1@1 wrote in message ...
"JVC Dude" schreef in bericht
probably the gears on the dynamic drum head tilt assy that has split.

you
usually get a knocking noise as the worm tries to turn it.
not available seperately however....

AW

Well, i think thats the prob, but no splitted gears, a slipping worm,
however how can allign this assy??

Herm.

.... The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.

1

"JVC Dude" schreef in bericht
[...]

Thanks Andrew,thanks a lot, however, i messed up the alligment real bad
( and it's very difficult to get them right, i have a picture allright but
nog optimal. Thanks.

Herm.

1

"Asimov" schreef in bericht
"JVC Dude" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Apr 05 09:25:41)
--- on the heady topic of " jvc hr-s9600"

The simplest method to time these is to (with power plug pulled)
remove the basket, then turn the loading mechanism by hand until the
load arms would just stop retracting the tape. This is the STOP
position. Then align all the gears so that the basket can be mounted
in the down position. When the machine is then powered up it should
reset itself to the tape eject position. This method should work in
99% of all machines.

A*s*i*m*o*v

This would discribe the threading alligment?? Correct me if i am wrong.

Herm.

Asimov

"1" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Apr 05 10:21:04)
--- on the heady topic of " jvc hr-s9600"

1 From: "1" 1@1
1 Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:45184

1 "Asimov" schreef in
1 bericht ...
"JVC Dude" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Apr 05 09:25:41)
--- on the heady topic of " jvc hr-s9600"

The simplest method to time these is to (with power plug pulled)
remove the basket, then turn the loading mechanism by hand until the
load arms would just stop retracting the tape. This is the STOP
position. Then align all the gears so that the basket can be mounted
in the down position. When the machine is then powered up it should
reset itself to the tape eject position. This method should work in
99% of all machines.

A*s*i*m*o*v

1 This would discribe the threading alligment?? Correct me if i am
1 wrong.

Herm, alignment is relative to each vcr model. Some are simpler to
reset the gears than others. Most have some sort of cam which controls
the tape loading arms but which also relates to the basket gears. What
often happens is the relationship between the tape load arms and
basket position is accidentally upset for various reasons, i.e. jammed
tape, forced loading or removal, broken parts, etc, resulting in
slipped of skipped gears.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.