Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default NPN Transistor Question

Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 06/05/2015 03:53 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

BFP840--80 GHz, 5000 in stock at Digikey, about 30 cents.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:53:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 06/05/2015 03:53 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

BFP840--80 GHz, 5000 in stock at Digikey, about 30 cents.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Thanks, Phil!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 06/05/2015 04:53 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 06/05/2015 03:53 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

BFP840--80 GHz, 5000 in stock at Digikey, about 30 cents.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

BFP640FESD has BVces 13V. Only 65 GHz.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 06/05/2015 03:53 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

BFP840--80 GHz, 5000 in stock at Digikey, about 30 cents.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

That practically oscillates just laying on the table!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Phil Hobbs wrote...

BFP640FESD has BVces 13V. Only 65 GHz.

13V?? 4V 46GHz ??

--
Thanks,
- Win
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 23:15:18 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 07:49:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

...Jim Thompson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transis...tor%3D1953.jpg

or this one...

http://tinyurl.com/onhmnnq

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-0A.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-2A.JPG

Used to cost a week's allowance.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

John Larkin wrote...
Jim Thompson wrote:

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-0A.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-2A.JPG
Used to cost a week's allowance.

Here's the 1952 datasheet, Raytheon,
in Newton, MA, my old stomping ground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtly97ud6j...952_1st-pg.gif

--
Thanks,
- Win
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 06/05/2015 09:50 PM, Winfield Hill wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote...

BFP640FESD has BVces 13V. Only 65 GHz.

13V?? 4V 46GHz ??

My followup doesn't seem to have made it.

You're right about the 46 GHz--I was confusing it with another part, thanks.

The 13V I was quoting is BV_CES, which is pretty good for a part that
fast. It shouldn't be too hard to arrange the circuit so that the base
drive is really low-Z at DC.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Winfield Hill wrote...

John Larkin wrote...
Jim Thompson wrote:

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-0A.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-2A.JPG
Used to cost a week's allowance.

Here's the 1952 datasheet, Raytheon,
in Newton, MA, my old stomping ground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtly97ud6j...952_1st-pg.gif

Yep, I double-checked, that was 1952.

--
Thanks,
- Win
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 8 Jun 2015 15:41:54 -0700, Winfield Hill
wrote:

Winfield Hill wrote...

John Larkin wrote...
Jim Thompson wrote:

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-0A.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-2A.JPG
Used to cost a week's allowance.

Here's the 1952 datasheet, Raytheon,
in Newton, MA, my old stomping ground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtly97ud6j...952_1st-pg.gif

Yep, I double-checked, that was 1952.

While I was still in high school my father became a Raytheon
wholesaler. I first saw that little blue blob ~1955 and it caused me
to switch my education aims from architecture to electronics.

Previously, though raised in a radio & TV repair shop, and I built
several toob amplifiers, toobs as a point of study turned me off.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 8 Jun 2015 13:07:58 -0700, Winfield Hill
wrote:

John Larkin wrote...
Jim Thompson wrote:

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-0A.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-2A.JPG
Used to cost a week's allowance.

Here's the 1952 datasheet, Raytheon,
in Newton, MA, my old stomping ground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtly97ud6j...952_1st-pg.gif

Beta is 12 typ, no Ft specified.

My first job interview, I told the guy that I preferred tubes to
transistors, because transistors were too easy to blow up. He said
"that won't do" and ended the interview.

Next guy, I said the same thing. He laughed and hired me, and I
designed about $200e6 worth of stuff for him. He also told me that
some day a transistor inside an IC would cost ONE CENT. I thought he
was crazy.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

If "readily available" means "I can buy one retail any sunday afternnon"
the 2N2222A is about as good as all the others, Ft 300MHz.

--
umop apisdn

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

Ahhh... flower power instead of sand power.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

...Jim Thompson

I remember when the price went down to around $12 each,i bought one
for experimentation.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Being in the I/C biz, I don't keep up very well with what is available
in the discrete transistor world.

What I'm looking for is a _readily_available_ NPN, highest fT,
VCE 15V, IC 10mA

Suggestions?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
What about the age-old standby, the 2N2222?

Why not suggest the OC71?

http://alltransistors.com/transistor...ansistor=44591

ft 300kHz.

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

...Jim Thompson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transis...tor%3D1953.jpg

or this one...

http://tinyurl.com/onhmnnq

1947? are you nuts? Old re-hashed stuff.
Julius Edgar Lilienfeld was awarded patent 1,745,175 on Jan28, 1930
for a transistor that he invented and reduced to a repeatable practice.
This is not his only patent in the field; try 1,877,140 granted Sep
13, 1932 and 1,900,010 granted Mar 7, 1933. NPPN, PNNP and varicaps as well.
He clearly knew what he was doing.

Gotta wait until Oct 3, 1950 before another group of 3 patents (same
day, same title)...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, John Larkin wrote:

On 8 Jun 2015 13:07:58 -0700, Winfield Hill
wrote:

John Larkin wrote...
Jim Thompson wrote:

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-0A.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/Ck722-2A.JPG
Used to cost a week's allowance.

Here's the 1952 datasheet, Raytheon,
in Newton, MA, my old stomping ground.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtly97ud6j...952_1st-pg.gif

Beta is 12 typ, no Ft specified.

My first job interview, I told the guy that I preferred tubes to
transistors, because transistors were too easy to blow up. He said
"that won't do" and ended the interview.

There's the classic QST article in the mid-fifties, an introduction to
transistors. And it comes right out and says "they can't amount to much,
if nothing else, they don't work at high frequencies".

I'm paraphrasing, but I heard about the article long before I read it.
And it really did say something along those lines.

I'm finding it quite amazing now to read about multiband transistor
portables that were out in the late fifties, I assumed that sort of thing
didn't arrive till the sixties. A lot of those early transistor shortwave
radios were junk, but there was the National HRO-500 in 1964 that's
considered an expensive classic.

Michael

Next guy, I said the same thing. He laughed and hired me, and I
designed about $200e6 worth of stuff for him. He also told me that
some day a transistor inside an IC would cost ONE CENT. I thought he
was crazy.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, John Larkin wrote:

On 8 Jun 2015 13:07:58 -0700, Winfield Hill
wrote:

John Larkin wrote...
Jim Thompson wrote:

;-) CK722 anyone ?:-}

[...]

* AS i vaguely remember, the bandwidth-extending trick (borrowed from
tube circuits) of neutralization was used.

Michael

Next guy, I said the same thing. He laughed and hired me, and I
designed about $200e6 worth of stuff for him. He also told me that
some day a transistor inside an IC would cost ONE CENT. I thought he
was crazy.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 00:31:35 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Michael Black wrote:

[snip]
I'm finding it quite amazing now to read about multiband transistor
portables that were out in the late fifties, I assumed that sort of
thing didn't arrive till the sixties. A lot of those early transistor
shortwave radios were junk, but there was the National HRO-500 in 1964
that's considered an expensive classic.

* AS i vaguely remember, the bandwidth-extending trick (borrowed from
tube circuits) of neutralization was used.

Michael

[snip]

Yep. In the late '50's I had an AM radio that used CK760's in the IF.
The IF transformers had an extra winding feeding back thru a capacitor
to the transistor base to "neutralize".

...Jim Thompson