Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default AADE inductance measurement not trustworthy

Another degaussing coil, this one from a large TV.
21 inch diameter, kinks minimized.
AADE measures 9.11mH.
One of those "universal" kits that measures almost anything reads
16.8 ohms, 2.55mH.
Using a 0.1uF cap in parallel and driving that with square wave and
10K in series, rings at 9.5KC for 2.8mH
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 14 May 2015 02:23:23 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Another degaussing coil, this one from a large TV.
21 inch diameter, kinks minimized.
AADE measures 9.11mH.
One of those "universal" kits that measures almost anything reads
16.8 ohms, 2.55mH.
Using a 0.1uF cap in parallel and driving that with square wave and
10K in series, rings at 9.5KC for 2.8mH

DEGAUSSING coil? Still living in the past?

Here we have 5 flat-screen TV's, 3 flat-screen monitors, 1 flat-screen
O'scope and only one very ancient O'scope with a CRT.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Another degaussing coil, this one from a large TV.
21 inch diameter, kinks minimized.
AADE measures 9.11mH.
One of those "universal" kits that measures almost anything reads
16.8 ohms, 2.55mH.
Using a 0.1uF cap in parallel and driving that with square wave and
10K in series, rings at 9.5KC for 2.8mH

There's probably a lot of distributed capacitance in that coil. Can
you measure the coil SRF?

The AADE is an oscillator that runs at a fairly high but variable
frequency. It's great for small Ls and Cs, not so good for bigger
stuff.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Another degaussing coil, this one from a large TV.
21 inch diameter, kinks minimized.
AADE measures 9.11mH.
One of those "universal" kits that measures almost anything reads
16.8 ohms, 2.55mH.
Using a 0.1uF cap in parallel and driving that with square wave and
10K in series, rings at 9.5KC for 2.8mH

DEGAUSSING coil? Still living in the past?

Here we have 5 flat-screen TV's, 3 flat-screen monitors, 1 flat-screen
O'scope and only one very ancient O'scope with a CRT.

...Jim Thompson

NOT relevant to problem seen.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Robert Baer wrote:

Another degaussing coil, this one from a large TV.
21 inch diameter, kinks minimized.
AADE measures 9.11mH.
One of those "universal" kits that measures almost anything reads
16.8 ohms, 2.55mH.
Using a 0.1uF cap in parallel and driving that with square wave and
10K in series, rings at 9.5KC for 2.8mH

First, something like that will be affected by anything within FEET of the
coil. So, if you moved the coil to hook it to the instrument, the reading
could change.

Second, I see you state the test frequency is 80 KHz, with a bunch of close-
packed turns in a big coil like that, the parasitic capacitance is goign to
be a LOT, which might throw off some measuring instruments. A good bridge
should take that in stride, but some simple instruments might be fooled.

Jon
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jon Elson wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:

Another degaussing coil, this one from a large TV.
21 inch diameter, kinks minimized.
AADE measures 9.11mH.
One of those "universal" kits that measures almost anything reads
16.8 ohms, 2.55mH.
Using a 0.1uF cap in parallel and driving that with square wave and
10K in series, rings at 9.5KC for 2.8mH

First, something like that will be affected by anything within FEET of the
coil. So, if you moved the coil to hook it to the instrument, the reading
could change.

Second, I see you state the test frequency is 80 KHz, with a bunch of close-
packed turns in a big coil like that, the parasitic capacitance is goign to
be a LOT, which might throw off some measuring instruments. A good bridge
should take that in stride, but some simple instruments might be fooled.

Jon

NOT "test frequency"; the Self Resonant Frequency.
No measuring instrument is going to be "thrown off".
The observed SRF DOES change a bit when moving the coil around,
particularly from vertical to horizontal axis (where coupling to rack
equipment can be larger).