Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Weller demagnetizer - DSCN1300.JPG

Attached Thumbnails
Weller demagnetizer - DSCN1300.JPG-dscn1300-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:06:40 -0800, "BobW"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
. ..

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob
My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

HA!! You and a million other technicians!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob
My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

HA!! You and a million other technicians!

I don't know. You don't need to degauss a flatscreen ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob
My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

HA!! You and a million other technicians!

HA! yourself. They might know how to use one, but I've seen some
spectacular flames from homebrew coils made by half assed techs.

I made, and sold a bunch of them while I was in high school. A
decent commercial coil was $75. Mine had twice the turns and were made
with a heavier gauge double cotton, double enamaled wire that was
surplused by Picker Xray. They also had heavy duty momentary pushbutton
switches and a 20 foot cord so you didn't need an extension cord. I
sold all, except the prototype in 1969. I still have the prototype. You
could see the effects 20 feet from a color TV screen, when you pushed
the button.

I'll see if I can find it, and post some data and photos.

Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:03:56 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

Just the gun body, with the normal tip installed, makes an excellent
CRT demagnetizer. Wave one around an old color monitor for fun color
effects. If you let go the trigger close to the tube, it will freese
the magnetization patterns into the display; wave it around smoothly
and back off, and it demagnetizes.

LCDs aren't as much fun.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
. ..

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

I deliberately *magnetise* screwdrivers so the screw stays on the end while
refitting in awkward to get at places.

It also speeds stripping stuff for parts - instead of removed screws
dropping on the bench and floor, its almost a single action to swipe the
screw off the end of the screwdriver into the strategically placed screw
box.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
m...

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

My degaussing wand is made from several degaussing coils strapped together
with zip-ties and powered by a variac.

For degaussing smaller items than CRT screens I use a few raster rotation
coils zip-tied together.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Just the gun body, with the normal tip installed, makes an excellent
CRT demagnetizer. Wave one around an old color monitor for fun color
effects. If you let go the trigger close to the tube, it will freese
the magnetization patterns into the display; wave it around smoothly
and back off, and it demagnetizes.

LCDs aren't as much fun.

The last LCD TV I pulled apart had a board with neat little rows of 10uF
ceramic chip capacitors - very handy.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:21:19 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

I deliberately *magnetise* screwdrivers so the screw stays on the end while
refitting in awkward to get at places.

I do, too. Except, in the old days of CRT's, magnetized screw drivers
were bad for yoke adjustments.

It also speeds stripping stuff for parts - instead of removed screws
dropping on the bench and floor, its almost a single action to swipe the
screw off the end of the screwdriver into the strategically placed screw
box.

I bought my wife a nice extendible wand that has a quite powerful
magnet on the end... for picking up sewing needles and pins.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:06:40 -0800, "BobW"
"John Fields" wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

I deliberately *magnetise* screwdrivers so the screw stays on the end
while refitting in awkward to get at places.

It also speeds stripping stuff for parts - instead of removed screws
dropping on the bench and floor, its almost a single action to swipe the
screw off the end of the screwdriver into the strategically placed screw
box.

In the USAF, they issued a set of beryllium screwdrivers for working
around magnetrons. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Ian Field
writes

I deliberately *magnetise* screwdrivers so the screw stays on the end while
refitting in awkward to get at places.

I do the same (for cross-heads). But don't you find that the screws
themselves are often magnetised - usually with the 'wrong' polarity, and
they simply won't sit straight on the end of the screwdriver?!
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

[...]

Which probably isn't too good for the low power purity and static
convergence magnets on the tube neck!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Not of you didn't slide it over the neck of the CRT.

Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Jackson wrote:
they simply won't sit straight on the end of the screwdriver?!

That's because you're using the wrong size of screwdriver. One
time, a buddy of mine hollow-ground a 1/4" common, and it fit in
the (appropriate) screw slots like a glove. I've seen Phillips
screwdrivers stand up with just their tip in the screw "slot."

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Rich Grise
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
they simply won't sit straight on the end of the screwdriver?!

That's because you're using the wrong size of screwdriver. One
time, a buddy of mine hollow-ground a 1/4" common, and it fit in
the (appropriate) screw slots like a glove. I've seen Phillips
screwdrivers stand up with just their tip in the screw "slot."

No, it's nothing to do with being the 'wrong size of screwdriver'.

If, for example, the tip of a screwdriver is a magnetic north pole.
However, if Murphy's law has worked its magic on your bag of screws, so
that all their heads are also north poles, the last thing a screw wants
to do is to stand upright on the tip of the screwdriver!
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

..

When your degausser has a 20' range you don't have to!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Rich Grise
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
they simply won't sit straight on the end of the screwdriver?!

That's because you're using the wrong size of screwdriver. One
time, a buddy of mine hollow-ground a 1/4" common, and it fit in
the (appropriate) screw slots like a glove. I've seen Phillips
screwdrivers stand up with just their tip in the screw "slot."

No, it's nothing to do with being the 'wrong size of screwdriver'.

If, for example, the tip of a screwdriver is a magnetic north pole.
However, if Murphy's law has worked its magic on your bag of screws, so
that all their heads are also north poles, the last thing a screw wants to
do is to stand upright on the tip of the screwdriver!

I've found if you magnetise the shaft a few inches back from the point
polarity is irrelevant, but the magnetic pull is weaker.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I saw something to that effect in one of the hobby mags (EI or PE) in the
60's. It goes with the note to pull the trigger, move the item to be
de-magnetized through the coil and then slowly away to arms length before
releasing the trigger. Failure to do so will likely increase the
magnetization.

Sometimes there's nothing like old school stuff
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
I saw something to that effect in one of the hobby mags (EI or PE) in the
60's. It goes with the note to pull the trigger, move the item to be
de-magnetized through the coil and then slowly away to arms length before
releasing the trigger. Failure to do so will likely increase the
magnetization.

Sometimes there's nothing like old school stuff
Oppie

Many years ago (carbon composition days) we had a tech put a 1000 ohm
resistor
in parallel with the transformer primary of the weller. A few pulls on the
trigger and
smoke came out. Of course the user of the gun disassembled it but could not
figure
what purpose the smoked part had.
Mikek

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field Inscribed thus:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Rich Grise
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
they simply won't sit straight on the end of the screwdriver?!

That's because you're using the wrong size of screwdriver. One
time, a buddy of mine hollow-ground a 1/4" common, and it fit in
the (appropriate) screw slots like a glove. I've seen Phillips
screwdrivers stand up with just their tip in the screw "slot."

No, it's nothing to do with being the 'wrong size of screwdriver'.

If, for example, the tip of a screwdriver is a magnetic north pole.
However, if Murphy's law has worked its magic on your bag of screws,
so that all their heads are also north poles, the last thing a screw
wants to do is to stand upright on the tip of the screwdriver!

I've found if you magnetise the shaft a few inches back from the point
polarity is irrelevant, but the magnetic pull is weaker.

Try a HDD actuator magnet stuck to the screwdriver shaft near the
handle. Picks up and holds screws great, just pull the magnet off when
finished. Oddly the screwdriver shaft doesn't seem to want to stay
magnetised, but sometimes the screws seem to retain some !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

.

When your degausser has a 20' range you don't have to!

I see you've never use one like what I built. You couldn't damage
the CRT from the faceplate. The perforated shadow mask was steel, and
shielded the neck from the coil.

Teflon coated.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I know. I used it on hundreds of TVs.

Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In a similar vein, I made a tape head demagnetizer out of a 1/4" (id) steel
flat washer. A slot was cut with a hacksaw to form a gap (deburr edge). Wind
to fill with about 20 or so turns of magnet wire (I used #26 kynar on one).
Connect to the terminals on the Weller and use on low.

Recommended to disconnect the tape head when doing this to prevent damage to
the electronics. Energize and make a few slow passes over the tape head gap
then slowly move away before releasing trigger.

Reading an old issue of Scientific American magazine, came across a
schematic for some analytical device. It called out a 1VAC, 100 Amp source
(iirc*). First thought was 'where do I find one of those?'. Reading the
text, realized that they intended to use a Weller soldering gun, less tip,
as the source.

* 0.25VAC @ 200A according to the original patent
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=KDtKAAAAEBAJ

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:20:22 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And Jim (who cut his teeth on the RCA CTC-5 chassis and went on from
there). The degaussing coil (with snap switch) could also be used if
all else failed to get the red screen purity by partially magnetizing
the shadow mask "just so". It generally could be done with five or
six snaps, to get the phase and amplitude of the dg coil to give you
just the right magnitization.

Jim
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
m...

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Don't feel so lonely. I made one over 40 years ago.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John wrote in message

Brilliant! You need to patent that.

Bob

My father did that around the late 50's to demagnetize screw drivers.
I think every TV repairman knows that trick.

---
I inherited that from my grandfather.

---
JF

I'm not surprised.

You and I and Michael are probably the only ones lurking here who know
what a degaussing coil is (and how to make your own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Don't feel so lonely. I made one over 40 years ago.

Many years ago I was working a T-39 magnetic compass problem. The
cure was to use a degaussing coil on the outside area near where it was
mounted.

If you want to seriously inconvenience a hiker degauss a compass then
give it to him as a present. Not that I would do such a thing, me being
innocent and all.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"John wrote in message

[...]

Most compasses are easily re-magnetized with a rare earth magnet.

I always used shaded-pole motors for degaussing - just cut off the hole
side and it's quite powerful.
--
I will not see posts from Google or e-mails from Yahoo because I must
filter them as spam

Weller WCC100 gb Electronic Schematics 0 January 14th 08 12:23 AM
Weller WHS Roger[_4_] Electronics Repair 28 November 15th 07 03:19 PM
More Weller help needed Mike Tomlinson Electronics Repair 3 August 30th 06 06:09 AM
build a magnetizer/demagnetizer Rick Legge Metalworking 8 January 8th 04 03:36 PM