Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller WHS

Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I hope somebody at Weller get's shot for putting these on the market,
and they go back to making first rate products!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roger wrote:
Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I hope somebody at Weller get's shot for putting these on the market,
and they go back to making first rate products!

Roger,

Are you sure that is was not someone's knockoff with a similar spelling
like 'Weler' or 'Wellar'? I went to the Weller web site and could not
find anything on WHS.

Regards,
Tim
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I hope somebody at Weller get's shot for putting these on the market,
and they go back to making first rate products!

See if they show made in China. If so junk.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gb gb is offline

"Roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I hope somebody at Weller get's shot for putting these on the market,
and they go back to making first rate products!

Look on teh bottom. Was this the Weller European design group?
Look for EU or Gbmh

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gb gb is offline

"Roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I hope somebody at Weller get's shot for putting these on the market,
and they go back to making first rate products!

All soldering manufacturers are having issues due to Chinese exports.

Hakko (Japan) has at least 4 different knock-offs/cones (Auoye, Madell,
Quakko, etc).
They MAY look the same -- but feedback due to poor quality has been negative
from many circles.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...t=85254&page=3

Sorny Roong Industrial Co., Ltd. (SOLOMON) in Taiwan is a large OEM exporter
for private brands by Elenco, Tenma, CSI, etc. Negative is that you can no
buy replacement heaters in US, only the irons!
http://www.soldering.com.tw/cgi-bin/...profile_lst.pl

Weller "TCP" series still solid station (easy to repair, most reliable
temperature controlled station since 1966) -- and I have been fixing them
for 35 years -- need parts?

The Weller moved to Mexico; did the RoHS required retooling and introduced
new models (and discontinued EC series from 2002 -2004.
At the same time. parent company Cooper Tools (Houston) was considering to
sell Weller and some other brands to Fluke (they did not come to agreement).
In past 12 to 18 months -- Weller seems a bit more focused on business (less
distractions).

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roger wrote:
Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week. On the other
hand, I have a Hexacon I bought in the seventies and it's on its third
tip. I'm starting to look for replacements, as I don't expect this one
to last out the decade and may need a fourth by 2011.

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roger wrote in message
oups.com...
Everywhere I have worked over the years has used Weller soldering
irons.

I recently went to buy a new one and saw there was a "new" range, the
WHS models. They look neat and cost a bit less. And they are RUBBISH.
Just plain simple trashy, not what you would expect from Weller.

I hope somebody at Weller get's shot for putting these on the market,
and they go back to making first rate products!

My Weller TCP PU 3D first went into use on a production line Sep 11, 1986 .
I bought it at auction ten years later and use it every day since.
I have 2 spare elements and 2 spare switches and dozens of tips , so it
should last me out.
Dropped it once , requiring TLC to the switch but thats the only problem
I've had with it.

Remember never throw away a tip without removing the magnastat - you can
always swap it tu a tip with right profile but wrong temp.
I don't leave mine switched on all the working day.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use. I have used a WTCP since the 60's and for everyday use
a tip would last at least 6mths when using rosin cored activated
solder such as Multicore Sav-bit.

Those replacement tips from Vanier were never any good imo - even
using Sav-bit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use. I have used a WTCP since the 60's and for everyday use
a tip would last at least 6mths when using rosin cored activated
solder such as Multicore Sav-bit.

Those replacement tips from Vanier were never any good imo - even
using Sav-bit.

One of the many, many problems with the WTCP is their uncanny ability to
develop faulty temp switches. Then the tips run wide open and burn up in
an hour or two.

I stopped devoting one or two days per month repairing soldering
stations, the day I threw all the Wellers in the dumpster and replaced
them with Edsyn.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use. I have used a WTCP since the 60's and for everyday use
a tip would last at least 6mths when using rosin cored activated
solder such as Multicore Sav-bit.

Those replacement tips from Vanier were never any good imo - even
using Sav-bit.

One of the many, many problems with the WTCP is their uncanny ability to
develop faulty temp switches. Then the tips run wide open and burn up in
an hour or two.

I stopped devoting one or two days per month repairing soldering
stations, the day I threw all the Wellers in the dumpster and replaced
them with Edsyn.

I used to buy Weller TCP at auctions , recondition and sell on, and I only
ever came across open circuit switches. Agreed you have to treat them with
respect, ie not clouting them against chassis sides or dropping on the
floor. Perhaps if the wrong retention barrels (too much iron) or some other
mechanical mismatch was causing the switches to close permanently.
The thermal element is in the magnastat, losing magnetism at its formulated
temperature.
Not many people realise that the closure barrel that holds the tips in place
is factored into the magnastat operation.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use. I have used a WTCP since the 60's and for everyday use
a tip would last at least 6mths when using rosin cored activated
solder such as Multicore Sav-bit.

Those replacement tips from Vanier were never any good imo - even
using Sav-bit.

One of the many, many problems with the WTCP is their uncanny ability to
develop faulty temp switches. Then the tips run wide open and burn up in
an hour or two.

I stopped devoting one or two days per month repairing soldering
stations, the day I threw all the Wellers in the dumpster and replaced
them with Edsyn.

One silly add on I was going to try years ago, but as the element never blew
, was/wasn't this.
A proximity detector in the iron holder and if the iron had not been removed
for 5 minutes then cut in a diode to the heater line, cancelled immediately
if the iron is picked up.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ross Herbert wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use.

As of the last time I had to use a Weller, I didn't know anyone else made
tips for them. The replacements I was installing came out of Weller
shrink packaging.

Always had good solder at the places I've worked; for some reason, no one
ever cheaped out on solder.

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet
Three inches
Three eights of an inch
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

clifto wrote:

Ross Herbert wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use.

As of the last time I had to use a Weller, I didn't know anyone else made
tips for them. The replacements I was installing came out of Weller
shrink packaging.

http://www.platoproducts.com/crosspa2.htm

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:13:35 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In all my years of experience with WTCP the ONLY problem which I came
across - and not all that frequently - was the switch mechanism. When
this happens it is all too easy to determine and do something about
it. I have successfully repaired switch units but only where the
spring contacts were the problem.

Nothing else seems to fail at all on the WTCP. Perhaps it has to do
with the country of manufacture? All the WTCP"s I have ever used were
manufactured in Australia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and

the
solder you use.

As of the last time I had to use a Weller, I didn't know anyone else

made
tips for them. The replacements I was installing came out of Weller
shrink packaging.

Always had good solder at the places I've worked; for some reason, no

one
ever cheaped out on solder.

Vanier tips started appearing here around 1980's if I remember
correctly. http://www.vaniersoldertips.com/ I don't think the iron
plating they put on them was as thick as the original Weller.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:13:35 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You may have used them with care. Production soldering personnel tend to
be hard on things. The simple act of replacing the iron in its holder
resembles a javelin throw, for example. Do that 500 or 1000 times a day,
drop the iron or the whole unit on the floor once a day, whack it on the
table deliberately to loosen a tip, etc, etc. Then see how often the
cords go intermittent, the fuses go out, the heaters burn up, the
switches malfunction, etc.

Edsyn will stand up to that kind of abuse all day long, every day, and
last for years with no attention at all. When they do fail, they send
you a brand new one for about half price. YMMV, of course.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

You may have used them with care. Production soldering personnel tend to
be hard on things. The simple act of replacing the iron in its holder
resembles a javelin throw, for example. Do that 500 or 1000 times a day,
drop the iron or the whole unit on the floor once a day, whack it on the
table deliberately to loosen a tip, etc, etc. Then see how often the
cords go intermittent, the fuses go out, the heaters burn up, the
switches malfunction, etc.

Edsyn will stand up to that kind of abuse all day long, every day, and
last for years with no attention at all. When they do fail, they send
you a brand new one for about half price. YMMV, of course.

No attention at all? We were required to check the temperature
calibration every 90 days. I did it several times, when the ME office
was overworked. There were a couple hundred irons, scattered between
manufacturing, test, service and engineering. I checked the tip to
ground resistance several times a day on the ions I used. I checked one
of the older digital bench meters out of our cal lab, and connected one
lead to the bench's ground system, and the other lead to a scrap of
unetched PC board so that I could pick up an iron and touch the PC board
while glancing at the meter. Anything above three ohms required the tip
to be removed and cleaned. If that didn't fix the problem, the iron had
to be turned in for repair. I spent about 10 minutes every day
maintaining my three Edsyn 'Loner' irons.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Well, if the pencil pushers mandated all that fuss, I'm sorry for you. I
don't give a rat's ass about those things, though, just as long as they
solder well and reliably, which they do, much better than the Wellers. I
don't tell my assemblers what temperature to use or which tip to use or
which diameter solder to use for a particular job. The only thing I care
about is keeping the lead-free jobs separate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Well, if the pencil pushers mandated all that fuss, I'm sorry for you. I
don't give a rat's ass about those things, though, just as long as they
solder well and reliably, which they do, much better than the Wellers.

Sigh.

I don't tell my assemblers what temperature to use or which tip to use or
which diameter solder to use for a particular job. The only thing I care
about is keeping the lead-free jobs separate.

We were building high end telemetry equipment which demanded high
standards, not cheap consumer ****. A failed piece of equipment could
cost a lot of lives, or require a round trip from space to the factory
along with finding room as payload for a return to orbit. Also, would
YOU like to be downrange if one of our missile 'command destruct
receivers' failed to destroy an out of control missile?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

Well, if the pencil pushers mandated all that fuss, I'm sorry for you. I
don't give a rat's ass about those things, though, just as long as they
solder well and reliably, which they do, much better than the Wellers.

Sigh.

I don't tell my assemblers what temperature to use or which tip to use or
which diameter solder to use for a particular job. The only thing I care
about is keeping the lead-free jobs separate.

We were building high end telemetry equipment which demanded high
standards, not cheap consumer ****. A failed piece of equipment could
cost a lot of lives, or require a round trip from space to the factory
along with finding room as payload for a return to orbit. Also, would
YOU like to be downrange if one of our missile 'command destruct
receivers' failed to destroy an out of control missile?

We don't build much consumer stuff, either. If we did, we wouldn't still
be using lead solder, would we?

I suppose some guy with a corkscrew in his ass will be along sooner or
later and ask for temperature calibration records, but I can tell you
that that has *nothing,* and I mean not one god damn thing, to do with
the quality of our assemblies. People who *know* how to solder don't
need someone else telling them whether the iron is too hot or too cold.
They know, because they know, simple as that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I suppose some guy with a corkscrew in his ass will be along sooner
or later and ask for temperature calibration records, but I can tell you
that that has *nothing,* and I mean not one god damn thing, to do with
the quality of our assemblies. People who *know* how to solder don't
need someone else telling them whether the iron is too hot or too cold.
They know, because they know, simple as that.

I admire your optimism, but without enforced standards, what guarantee do
you have that your technicians will "do the right thing" consistently?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I suppose some guy with a corkscrew in his ass will be along sooner
or later and ask for temperature calibration records, but I can tell
you that that has *nothing,* and I mean not one god damn thing, to do
with the quality of our assemblies. People who *know* how to solder
don't need someone else telling them whether the iron is too hot or too
cold. They know, because they know, simple as that.

I admire your optimism, but without enforced standards, what guarantee
do you have that your technicians will "do the right thing"
consistently?

It is almost always cheaper to build in quality from the start than to
inspect it in but both choices are available.

You can use the inspection to rate the employees work and base their pay
on the quality of their work. That make it in their interest to do the job
right AND to make sure their equipment works well.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I suppose some guy with a corkscrew in his ass will be along sooner
or later and ask for temperature calibration records, but I can tell you
that that has *nothing,* and I mean not one god damn thing, to do with
the quality of our assemblies. People who *know* how to solder don't
need someone else telling them whether the iron is too hot or too cold.
They know, because they know, simple as that.

I admire your optimism, but without enforced standards, what guarantee do
you have that your technicians will "do the right thing" consistently?

There's no incentive not to. The assemblers are expected to produce
excellent solder joints at a competitive rate of production. The way to
do that is to select an appropriate tip, solder, and temperature (not to
mention magnification level) for the task at hand. Why would they choose
an option that would make their job more difficult and frustrating, and
produce lower quality work?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

We don't build much consumer stuff, either. If we did, we wouldn't still
be using lead solder, would we?

I suppose some guy with a corkscrew in his ass will be along sooner or
later and ask for temperature calibration records, but I can tell you
that that has *nothing,* and I mean not one god damn thing, to do with
the quality of our assemblies. People who *know* how to solder don't
need someone else telling them whether the iron is too hot or too cold.
They know, because they know, simple as that.

Whatever. We tried to remove any failing tools from the production
floor before they caused problems. I don't really care how you do
things at your place. Several customers were US government agencies,
and THEY required the testing, and a proper logbook, along with ISO 9001
certification and quarterly inspections. They were paying $20,000 to
$80,000 USD per custom built unit, so they had the right to set the
standards.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Gosh. I don't recall saying that we use failing tools. Why would we do
that?

You must be running low on bragging rights if you're stooping to
boasting about the importance of the asses you had to lick.

Were you pompous and moody before you were wounded, Michael, or was that
the result of your bitterness at a corrupt government who used you as a
disposable pawn in its perverted quest for global conquest?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]