Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default More Weller help needed

I've noted a few posts recently about Weller equipment. Hopefully
someone can help me find replacement tips/bits for a Weller model WM-12D
soldering iron. This is a miniature iron similar to the current model
SP12, but is in blue plastic, not red. It's many (at least 15) years
old.

Looking at the Weller section of Cooper Tools' webpage hasn't helped,
neither has a google. I get the impression that tips for current model
irons are D-shaped or have a thread which screws into the iron body.

The part of the tip I need which goes into the body of the iron is
cylindrical, 16mm long by 3mm diameter, and the tip itself is secured by
a small grub screw.

Thanks for any leads.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message ...

I've noted a few posts recently about Weller equipment. Hopefully
someone can help me find replacement tips/bits for a Weller model WM-12D
soldering iron. This is a miniature iron similar to the current model
SP12, but is in blue plastic, not red. It's many (at least 15) years
old.

Looking at the Weller section of Cooper Tools' webpage hasn't helped,
neither has a google. I get the impression that tips for current model
irons are D-shaped or have a thread which screws into the iron body.

The part of the tip I need which goes into the body of the iron is
cylindrical, 16mm long by 3mm diameter, and the tip itself is secured by
a small grub screw.

Thanks for any leads.

I THINK you mean the Weller WM-120 iron -- NOT 12D

Weller 12 Watt Soldering Iron
12W miniature iron is lightweight (less than 7 oz.) and pencil thin. Ideal for soldering heat and voltage sensitive components where a precision touch is essential.
Delivers a tip temperature of 800°F and accommodates a complete range of slide-in tips.
Comes with 1/2" .020" micro point tip (MP131), stay cool handle and 3-wire cord. 115VAC.

The Weller WM-120 uses the MP series of tips -- which Weller has now cut back to 3 tip sizes
MP131, MP133, and MP136) --- some distributors still have the full 8 tips that were originally mfg.
WE-S439 WM-120 Tip Retainer clip (Holds the tip in the iron)

Rapid (UK) should be able to fix you up with the correct parts and tips !!

You must remember that until recently -- many European versions of Weller tools have both different numbering systems AND designs.
Currently, Germany is designing and mfg. -- the most high end models of Weller tools.

You must also remember that Weller purchased Ungar (originally California based) in the mid--1990s. These stations were supported under the Weller name until around 1999 / 2000.

RoHS is causing great changes in the industry -- as many models are being re-tooled or discontinued. The "no lead" initiative includes and lead as part of the mfg. process for the tools OR the soldering tips themselves.

w9gb
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , g. beat
?@?.? writes

I THINK you mean the Weller WM-120 iron -- NOT 12D

No, it is the 12D. It is a very old iron :-)

I had an email from Cooper Tools (who now own Weller) saying that
although the iron has been obsolete for many years, the tips are still
available as part number STT-1, intended for the model 2012 iron but
which will also fit the WM-12D.

Thanks for your help.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
http://www.thisisbunny.com/

Windows replacing: needed scaffolding? Gianfra UK diy 9 May 3rd 13 05:39 AM
people needed work money man UK diy 0 April 14th 06 01:22 PM
telephone wiring HELP needed ! Beowulf Home Repair 34 April 11th 06 03:59 AM
Contractors needed in New Orleans ! [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 21st 05 07:33 PM
Part needed: Kenwood Car Radio KDC-MP625 part needed Klem Electronics Repair 1 September 28th 05 05:27 AM