Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
JW JW is offline

Default For those with too much time on their hands

Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Wonder how long it would take to wire-wrap that?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 May 2010 06:12:13 -0400, JW wrote:

Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Wonder how long it would take to wire-wrap that?

It used to be that all pre-production computers were built that way...
I like how he used PDP-11 switches on his front console.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 May 2010 08:24:11 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 05 May 2010 06:12:13 -0400, JW wrote:

Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Wonder how long it would take to wire-wrap that?

It used to be that all pre-production computers were built that way...
I like how he used PDP-11 switches on his front console.

The PDP-11/20 was all MSI TTL, about 520 chips on two big boards. No
microcode, just a lot of messy logic.

I designed a CPU once, about a square foot of MSI logic. It had 4
instructions, a 4-deep hardware return-address stack, and a 20 KHz
4-phase clock. Worked fine as a shipboard bell logger.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 May 2010 06:12:13 -0400, JW wrote:

Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Wonder how long it would take to wire-wrap that?

Wow, it's classic clocks-all-over-the-place hairball logic, like DEC's
early stuff. He even uses delay lines!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"JW" wrote in message
Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Wonder how long it would take to wire-wrap that?

Geez! I'm getting flashbacks to 1974 when I worked as a tech for a Mil
contractor on a digital sonar processing set. Three 19" rack panels each
with 20 boards having about 30 ssi and msi TTL devices per board. Prototypes
were all wire-wrapped.

My life got much easier when the Intel 8008 came along...

Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In article ,
JW wrote:

Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Been there, done that mostly with RTL (tho not with a 100th of
the elegance or functionality of the M-1). The memory was a very
expensive (for me) pair of 256 BIT TTL chips*arranged*to give 4
pages of 16-8 bit words each. Each memory chip cost $25, about 10
times the cost of the next most expensive chip in the machine.

Programming was thru a bank of toggle switches arranged as 8-8
bit words. Architecture was 8 bit words with a 1 bit (serial) ALU
homebrewed from a dual half adder (probably the most complicated
chip in the machine). Clock speed was anything from 1/2Hz to
about 1.25MHz.

A great learning experience in 1971-2. (My day job was designing
the electrical system for a nuke plant.)

I still have it. Firing it up would probably take on a literal
meaning. ;-)

Kudos to the M-1's builder.

--
Fred Lotte

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 May 2010 08:42:23 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 05 May 2010 06:12:13 -0400, JW wrote:

Build a CPU with TTL chips
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/

Wonder how long it would take to wire-wrap that?

Wow, it's classic clocks-all-over-the-place hairball logic, like DEC's
early stuff. He even uses delay lines!

John

Time of arrival is an important issue in "slow logic world".
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 May 2010 19:27:34 -0400, Fred Lotte
wrote:

In article ,
JW wrote:

[...]

Do not use TFE wire in a Nuclear power plant. That insulation turns to
a powder around that particular radiation.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 05 May 2010 19:27:34 -0400, Fred Lotte
wrote:

In article ,
JW wrote:

[...]

Any type of ionizing radiation will make Teflon insulation crumble.

Cheers

Idle Hands oldhippiedave Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 February 25th 09 07:44 PM
Too much wood on his hands? Casper Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 May 20th 08 12:54 AM
Too Many Clamps, Not Enough Hands DerbyDad03 Woodworking 38 July 19th 07 01:36 AM
Old Man's Hands Tom Watson Woodworking 40 June 24th 07 12:21 AM
EasyCoper - hands on TomL Woodworking 1 August 10th 05 02:56 AM